Options

Timeout expired.

jamesrjamesr Posts: 3
edited May 5, 2005 12:53PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am using SQL Compare to help me manage database updates for a customer base that currently numbers over 40. I have a database on my local pc that contains all changes to the database after they have been tested and released. I am able to compare this database to our customer's databases after establishing a VPN connection to their network and script or make updates as needed.

This works great for all but one customer. When I try to connect to this customer's database I get the following error:
"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

I have not been able to find any documentation on this error. Any help on where to find information related this problem or information on a possible cause and potiential solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
James Rickaway
Software Engineer
OptiFlex
a division of Omnicell, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello James,

You may want to rule out some issues unrelated to the SQL Server first.

Try connecting to the server using the 'internal' IP address rather than the server name first of all. You can type the address in the address box.

Next, try forcing the connection to use TCP/IP. You can do this by typing the server name in the server box, then prefacing it with 'TCP:', for example, 'TCP:127.0.0.1'.

Next, I'd check with the network administrator on the site and make sure that there is no packet filtering happening on the VPN connections. The administrator could have configured the VPN to block TCP ports 1433 and 1434, preventing you from connecting to the server.

Hopefully this helps.
  • Options
    Brian,

Thanks for your resopnse. I should have mentioned in my initial email that I am able to connect to the server locally using Enterprise Manager and that I use the IP Address to connect.

I did test ports 1433 and 1434 by attempting to initiate Telnet sessions to the server using these ports. Port 1433 was open and I could connect which makes sense since I can connect with Enterprise Manager. However I could not establish a connection on port 1434. This appears to be the source of the porblem if I need this port open to connect with SQL Compare.

I will contact the VPN administrator for this customer and find out if this port is closed.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know what I find out.
    James Rickaway
    Software Engineer
    OptiFlex
    a division of Omnicell, Inc.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about this. 1434 is for getting information about the SQL Server. If you had more than one instance and were dynamically generating port numbers, you may need this port open.

On the other hand, your administrator may be blocking it intentionally because it's the primary means of propagation for threats such as the SQL Slammer worm.
This discussion has been closed.