Options

instance list

jrandalljrandall Posts: 35
edited September 3, 2009 2:27PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
How does one manage the SQL Server instance list? I want to delete/drop a SQL Server instance ( 2 actually) that no longer exists. I can add an instance, how do I drop one?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jrandall,

From what I'm aware there isn't a guaranteed way of removing servers from this list. It seems to get cached eventually disappears after a period of time. Have you tried rebooting the machine that runs SQL Dependency Tracker? I know that has worked previously but not all of the time.

Sorry I can't be more help!
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    I'm running Dependency Tracker on my laptop. It gets rebooted daily. I hadn't run Dependency Tracker in weeks.
  • Options
    Hi,

Do you have those servers still added to SSMS/Enterprise Manager/Query Analyzer? If they are added there that would cause them to always appear in the Dependency Tracker list. Removing them may do the trick. Also if you let SSMS/EM search for servers do those appear?

Thanks
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    Finally figured this out. I had previously removed those servers from my alias list in SQL Server Configuration Mgr. Forgot I still had them listed as Registered Servers in SSMS. That is where Dependency Tracker was picking them up. When I deleted them as registered servers, they no longer appeared in Dependency Tracker