disk space question

dgracedgrace Posts: 5
edited August 20, 2009 8:20AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've downloaded the trial and everything seems great but I have one remaining issue I can't resolve. I have a 50GB database that can be compressed down to 6GB backup. It looks like a full backup is done and then it is compressed, so if I only have say 10Gb available on my drive, will the backup still work because the final file is only 6GB or will there be an issue because the SQL backup is still about 50GB and it needs to exist somewhere to be compressed.

Will a similar thing work with my 500GB database and not enough disk space to hold the normal SQL backup of that DB?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Hi David,

SQL Backup compresses the backup on the fly so the full uncompressed backup never exisits and thus the amount of disk space you need is much less than for native backup.

It is always wise to give a little leaway so that if your database grows then the backup will not fail but you certainly won't need enough space for the full uncompressed backup.

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Thank you James. That is what I was expecting, since it wouldn't be as much use if it didn't but just wanted to make sure. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't test it because my dev server had too much room available.

Guess I'll go speak to the man with the corporate card.

Thanks again,

David