Data Compare using a Snapshot

croakercroaker Posts: 2
edited January 3, 2006 12:27PM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
I have a single database which I want to monitor for changes caused by a 3rd party client application.

I was hoping to use SQL Data Repair to take a snapshot of the original data, let my 3rd party application loose then compare the changes with the original snapshot.

Looks like it can't be done. Any suggestions?

Croaker
:cry:

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Sorry, but no. The current version of Data Compare doesn't produce snapshots like SQL Compare does.

You'd need to use a two-database test. Keep the original data in one database, then copy all of that data to a second database. Run your application against the second database, then use Data Compare to compare the two and see what's changed.
  • croaker wrote:
    I have a single database which I want to monitor for changes caused by a 3rd party client application.

I was hoping to use SQL Data Repair to take a snapshot of the original data, let my 3rd party application loose then compare the changes with the original snapshot.

Looks like it can't be done. Any suggestions?

Croaker
    :cry:

May I request that this functionality be added in release 4. This is functionality that we need desperately. I realize that it wouldn't be efficient for VLDB's, but our database is relatively small, and we don't have connectivity to all of the locations we support. Being able to create a data snapshot would be very nice.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

This didn't make it into version 4 although we had a look into being able to compare database backup files with live data sources, which seemed to be the best way of approaching this. It could still happen for version 5.
This discussion has been closed.