Options

Superseded Posting - ignore

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited August 13, 2009 6:14AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Installed V4 4.0.2.27

Aliases are becoming an issue as more databases and features are added, especially with third-party databases and custom add-on's being developed for business units that use the same terms but have differing data content - one man's "cs_UserProfile" is another's User_Profile and another's UserProfile, all deserving the "up" alias, for example.

Aliases are a great feature, BUT, they should really be defined within the context of the Database that SQLPrompt has cached and is "suggesting" from.

Please consider an enhancement to enable us to define the same alias for different tables in different databases.

Also, could you push the enhancement request list to this portal and make it searchable so we don't pepper you with duplicates now that v3 has been retired and new users will ask for the same stuff as we oldies... I just searched for "alias database" in the V3 forum and I cannot wade through 24 pages of posts to see if any of them is an enhancement! Thanks :)
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

I just defined some custom alias to workaround this problem and it seems to work for me. Does that help at all or am I missing something here? :?

Enhancement requests - I will look into that to see what is the best way to handle this in the forum.

Thanks for your feedbacks and I hope you like the new version :)

Regards,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    I guess that's a change from when I tried Custom Aliases of the same alias for different tables and bumped into a dialog box preventing the addition... can't recall which v3 release that was but it used to be an issue. Guess "I'm missing something here" :oops:

Thanks for thinking about posting the enhancement list...
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Options
    I am glad that helped:)

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd