Missing ability to reset and insert markers on the timeline

I'm missing the ability to either reset the profiling data, or insert markers on the timeline while profiling. Typically this is to remove / find locations on the timeline where an operation was started or prereqs for the things I want to profile is setup. As it is now I have to manually try to find back to the spot where I started and/or ended the operation I want to measure.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

This can be done in ANTS Performance profiler by adding a user event to your application code. If you reference RedGate.Profiler.UserEvents.dll in your project, you can then use the SignalEvent static method to add your own events to the timeline.
    RedGate.Profiler.UserEvents.ProfilerEvent.SignalEvent("My code is about to run");

This should definitely help you to find the right points in the timeline more easily.
  • Hi,

So it's not possible to do this through the profiler gui while profiling? I think such a functionality would be quite nice to have as one could then quite easily add markers without needing to make modofications to the source code. Would you consider adding something like this as a feature request?

Tor-Erik
  • It's something that we are considering for upcoming releases and is in our tracking system.

We had actually thought about it for 5.0 but unfortunately other areas were more important overall so it was dropped.

If you have any other ideas that you feel would significantly improve the product then get in touch any time.

Kind regards,

Stephen
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

You can bookmark regions on the timeline by clicking and dragging, then clicking the pencil icon in the top left corner. You can then enter a name for your region so you can select it again later.

When you select a region profiling results will be displayed for that region, so it's best to do this whilst your application is relatively idle in order to avoid skewing the results. You could get around this by selecting a very short period of time, and using the region just to bookmark one end of a time period of interest.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd