Options

Adding network drives issue

Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge Posts: 132
edited July 17, 2009 10:12AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi

I am having a similar issue to that listed here in the pre release version forum when using the SQL Backup GUI on my workstation.

www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic ... ght=logged

If I try to add any network drive via the GUI on my workstation then I get the following error

From my workstation
sqlbackupshareerror1.gif

The login name is shown as >b/b

If I add the network drive via the GUI on the server then the drive creates correctly

sqlbackupshareok.gif

Once I have created the share then I can successfully test the connection from my workstation but cannot view the path.

sqlbackupshareerror2.gif

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Andrew,

It may be that the SETUSER command can't verify the Windows credentials you're using from SQL Backup. A workaround could be to use the BrowsingUserList registry key as described here:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000369.htm
  • Options
    Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge Posts: 132
    edited January 3, 2012 2:48PM
    Many thanks for the response Brian

I added the users I wanted to the BrowsingUserList key and can now browse to the shares.

However I still think there might be a bug here or is this be design?

I logged onto my PC with the service account that SQL backup is running under (SQLBackup.service). This account has administrative rights on my workstation, SERVER A (MEDSQLWEB2) and SERVER B (MEDPOLSHARE) and is also the account SQL Backup is running under on MEDSQLWEB2.

When I run the SQLBackup GUI on my PC and connect to SERVER A and try to browse the shares on SERVER B I am still getting the error that permission is denied but it does succesfully recognise the user account instead of entering b>/b> .

sqlbackupshareerror3.gif

If I add the SQLBackup.service to the BrowsingUserList key then it can browse the shares.

sqlbackupshareerror4.gif
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Andrew,

For backup and restore operations, both the SQL Backup Agent account and the account for the SQL Backup console connection need access to the file or dierectory where the backup files reside, however, I believe that the file browser is strictly concerned with the credentials used in the SQL Backup console connection. This would mean that if you used the SQL Backup Agent service account to connect the SQL Backup console to the server, you would also have to add the account to the BrowsingUserList.