Options

SQL Backup 5 Hangs

jwilleyjwilley Posts: 23
edited July 16, 2009 8:41AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
A full backup using SQL Backup 5 hangs -- tried three times and finally killed each attempt after 10+ hours. No file was ever written but no error issued and the time-line display showed the Full Backup in progress. Found these in Application event log within a minute or so of starting the backup:
SQLVDI: Loc=CVDS::Close. Desc=Abnormal termination state. ErrorCode=(0). Process=9616. Thread=10992. Client. Instance=. VD=Global\SQLBACKUP_8EAC7446-1A55-4ECB-A197-34E9E5C0C2D9_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

SQLVDI: Loc=SignalAbort. Desc=Client initiates abort. ErrorCode=(0). Process=9616. Thread=10992. Client. Instance=. VD=Global\SQLBACKUP_8EAC7446-1A55-4ECB-A197-34E9E5C0C2D9_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

We use SQL Backup to do log shipping on this machine and it works fine. There is plenty of disk space for the backup on local disk. We tried disabling the log shipping TLog backups during one of the attempts to make a full but that did not help.

Ideas greatly appreciated!

john

Comments

• Options
    By the way, I checked the versions of the SQLVDI.dll (saw that mentioned as a possible problem elsewhere on the forum) -- there are 4 instances installed (two 32-bit, two 64). All are 2000.85.2312.0

Please help -- I have GOT to get a compressed backup made and SQL Backup is really letting me down.

thx -- john
  • Options
    In case anyone is interested, this turned out to be a write permission problem -- not to the drive\folder where I was writing the backup file but to the folder where SQL Backup resides (yep -- C:\Program files (x86)\...). Once I allowed write permission there, the problem disappeared. I conjecture that there is some sort of log file written by a Full backup (remember that TLog backups were working fine). Go figure...
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The cause of the problem could have been a checkpoint file that SQL Server needs to create:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000232.htm

That's the only case I know of where a backup creates a file outside of the normal backup location.