Cluster like installs

Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge Posts: 132
edited February 18, 2010 3:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi

We run two "clustering like" products (HP PolyServe and Neverfail). These both run in an active / passive fashion.

I have already upgraded to v6 on the active servers but cannot upgrade the passive servers without failing over as the SQL Service is not running on the passive node.

Is it possible to run the SQBServerSetup.exe and get the service / application files to upgrade but not perform the SQL Server extended stored procedure install? Are there any parameters to perform this?

Andy

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Andrew

Unfortunately SQL Backup does not officially support HP Polyserve and Neverfail clustering solutions and has not been tested on these two clustering solutions. The only course of action is to fail over the cluster and install SQL Backup onto the passive node, which will include another install of the extended stored procedures over the top of the existing items installed earlier.

The SQL Backup Server components installer is cluster aware for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and 2008 clusters, creating the SQL Backup Agent service on all nodes within the cluster, the SQL Backup resource within the Windows Cluster Administrator and the extended stored procedures into master database for the SQL instance.

I can submit a feature request on your behalf for the development team to consider SQL Backup to support the HP Polyserve and Neverfail clustering solutions. However I cannot guarantee the success of the request and if approval is given, in what future version of SQL Backup the requested feature will appear in.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks for the response. If you could log the request and we see where it goes that would be good.

I would think there are other people out there using SQL Backup in environments like ours that have the same issue. Ie just need the installer to install and create the service and replace the dll but not do any actions in SQL server itself.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

I have now submitted the feature request for the SQL Backup Development Team to consider support for HP Polyserve and Neverfail clustering solutions. The reference for this feature request is SC-4291.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Did this request ever get approved or rejected?