Upgrading from older versions of SQL Compare

UrsusHorribilisUrsusHorribilis Posts: 22
edited June 20, 2009 3:06PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm in the process of rolling out SQL Compare 8 to about 85-90 users & have been asked some questions regarding upgrading from older versions.

If a user has 4, 5, 6 or 7 (yes, I have users with that many different versions which is why I've chosen to oversee this rollout) installed & they use the "check for updates" functionality in the GUI, does the older install get upgraded or is 8 installed side-by-side?

Ive been recommending uninstalling the older & doing a fresh install of 8, however, folks want options.

Are there any issues with running 4-6 & 8 simultaneously?

Thanks all

Comments

• Major versions will happily install side by side, so uninstalling shouldn't be necessary.

When a later version of SQL Compare is used on a previously created SQL Compare project (.scp files), it may render them unusable for previous versions of SQL Compare, so if there is a requirement for these to be used with the old version, make sure you copy your projects to a safe location.

If you've uninstalled an older version of our product and want it back, you can do so from the following web page:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/G ... l_products\articles\old_versions.htm

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software