Options

trial license

xdaixdai Posts: 98
edited June 22, 2009 10:52PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
can we use trial version for restore? Also does the server need to install sql backup for where the backup reside to be able to use for restore, or just simply specify where the copy is when you add file. thanks

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The answer is yes, you can use the trail version of SQL Backup to restore a database.

If you are planning to restore the backup file created by Server A using SQL Backup and restore to Server B.

Ideally you will need to install SQL Backup on Server B and then perform the restore.

If you do not wish to install SQL Backup on Server B, you can convert the backup file created using SQL Backup on Server A using the sqb2mtf.exe utility located in the SQL Backup installtion folder.

The sqb2mtf utility converts the SQL Backup format file, into a format that Microsoft Native SQL Backup will understand.

Hope this answer your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    actually the backup created on server a, then copy to server b (just as a storage location for the copies), then i try to restore it back to server a. I performed the restore on server a, then specify the location of the backup file (on server b), unfortunatly give me error: sql error 3013 reading fileset error, sql error 3241, the medai family on device is incorrectly formed. Why is that? Does it matter server a is sql 2005, while server b is sql 2000. but server b is just a file location, i think it has nothing to do with the version of sql server. why server a couldn't recognize it? thanks
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please run the following test when connected to Server A using Query Analyzer/Management Studio, and post the resulting output:
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = [<location of the backup file on server B]" '

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8