Operation is not valid due to the current state of the objec

Chet0012Chet0012 Posts: 5
edited June 23, 2009 5:42PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Dear Sirs,

I'm getting the following error when clicking "Finish" in the last step of setting up a scheduled backup job on any database within a server:

SQLBackup v5
Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
InvalidOperationException

at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ScheduleEnumerator._1(Schedule , DateTime , _2 , _3 )
at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ScheduleEnumerator._1(Schedule , DateTime )
at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ScheduleEnumerator._4()
at RedGate.SQLBackup.Engine.ScheduleEnumerator.MoveNext()
at _54._1(IList`1 , DateTime& )
at _54.SaveChanges()
at _54.OnFinishButtonClicked()
at _7._4(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm pretty sure Backup 5 is installed correctly since it is properly working for a different server and databases within it. This database, where the error is occuring, is pretty standard fair. It is a reporting service, and it also acts as a distributor (with the subscriber of that distribution on the same server). It is a MS SQL 2005 x64 Std Edition installation.

Thanks,

- Chris

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Chris,

It looks to me as if there is a possibility that certain schedules cannot be understood by SQL Backup. What is the schedule that you have configured? Is there more than one schedule?
  • Brian,

Thanks for your response. I am trying to set up a single schedule (full backup) for a single file backup for 1 database. While I'll have several schedules for each database on this server, this is the first schedule on this particular database server.

The schedule I'm trying to setup is for the third sunday of each month, at 3AM est.

I get to the last page in the process, and then I receive that error when I go to create the backup job.

I've made sure that the SQL Backup (Red Gate) service has access to do the all the appropriate actions, and, as mentioned, it works fine on a different server setup in the same instance/installation of SQL Backup Pro 5.

Possibly of note to mention again, since you feel it might be a scheduling conflict - there is an events manager db on this server as well, and it also acts as the distributor and subscriber to a publisher on a different server (which, coincidentally, is the server where this setup worked fine for its databases). What type of schedule conflict/issue were you suspecting? I might be to able let you know what I have setup that could collide there.

Best,

- Chris
    Hi Chris,

I know that SQL Backup is trying to validate the schedule dates specified are valid dates. So if it works in SQL Backup console installed on one computer and not the other, it may be down to the regional settings specified for that system.
  • Brian,

Thanks for the response. I've successfully done a one-time backup, but, still receive the error for any schedules on the box.

I checked the clock settings on the computer, and they are both set to the same. When you say regional settings - do you have anything more prescriptive than that? Do you believe it is a db setting, windows setting, etc? I ask only because everything I can think of to synchronize between the server that works, and that that does not, was already the same.

Thanks,

- Chris
    Specifically, I'm thinking of the "Regional Settings" in Windows where the SQL Backup console is running. Things like making sure that date separators are specified in particular. Although Windows will not let you put invalid characters in these settings, we have had to odd case or two where someone has hacked them into the registry, leaving .NET unable to resolve the string representation of a date into a binary one.
  • Brian,

Thanks. I've verified these again, and they are definitely the same.

The only thing that I can think of (not to create a scape goat where one should not exist) is that it is an x64 or Anti-virus issue?

Both are x64, but, one's virus definitions are slightly out of date? I don't see how this would impact things, though.

Any other thoughts? Community at large? Would there possibly be any sort of permission types of issues which affect a services/AD accounts ability to access regional/time settings?

Thanks,

- Chris