My formatting stopped working

I use SSMS/SQL Server and usually use formatting extensively, but it has just stopped working for a while now.
Can someone please suggest the course of action in this case?

Answers

• Hi @mashal1st

Can you expand further on the formatter not working? Does it simply do nothing, or does it throw an error? Do any other functions within SQL Prompt work, such as code suggestions?

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version?
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.14.23.11448.exe

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• mashal1stmashal1st Posts: 2 New member
    edited October 12, 2024 10:27PM
    Hi Kurt!

I generally keep the SQL prompt for two reasons: snippets and formatting. Snippets work great, and I use them all the time. But with formatting....
    I am a legacy report writer, and I touch many reports written many years ago by many people to make some modifications. They all have different formatting and now our company wants everything formatted in a certain way. It worked to a point, but now it only changes the case without changing layout. No error messages.

I already have the latest version. But if you think reinstalling is the only way to go, I can do that.

EDIT: Oct.12 - I reinstalled the SQL prompt, but the formatting issue persisted.
  • @mashal1st

My apologies for the delay.

So it works to a very small degree? Would you be able to share an example of the sort of queries you are trying to format? I may have to do some testing on my end to see what is going on. If you're not happy to share a query here, you're more than welcome to email support@red-gate.com, which will create a support ticket. 

If you could also include your formatting file (default location here: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\Styles), and your SQL Prompt options file, that would be helpful for the testing. You can export the options file from SQL Prompt tab > Options > Export.

On the topic of the styles, do any of the other default formatting styles make any meaningful changes?

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center