SQL Compare 15.3.11.27029 Error: Input string was not in a correct format

I tried going backwards to previous versions, without success.

I get this any time I click on differences, for any project. I submit, or cancel, then the program crashes.

Tagged:

Answers

• I'm experiencing this in 15.3.6.25729 immediately after upgrading.
  • I have a support ticket open on this. So far I was asked to uninstall all products, reboot, download the latest Toolbelt installer, install, and try again. I did so, no joy.

I then took steps to locate all possible registry entries, data in AppData, Documents, etc. and delete so it could start as “fresh” as possible. I then uninstalled and re-installed - same issue. 

I then uninstalled and installed an older version from June 2024 - same issue.

I've submitted many internal bug reports through the pop-up before it crashes.

Hopefully this may help. I'll keep you updated as things progress or if I figure out something.
  • I completely removed all RedGate programs and reinstalled only SQL Compare. This seemed to work for me. I didn't remove any files manually - AppData or Program Files. I had just this morning installed SQL Dependency Tracker and updated a few other components of the ToolBelt. SQL Compare is the one I can't do without right now.
  • Thank you ThatF1Guy.   I had the same error and same priorities. Following your solution, I used Redgate's uninstall and uninstalled everything there.  I restarted my workstation (force of habit), then installed just SQL Compare 15.3.6.25729 Professional.  It works again.
  • Arrg. This is not good. I use SQL Prompt, SQL Compare and other stuff multiple times a day. I guess I'm going to have to give it a go.
  • jsreynolds1jsreynolds1 Posts: 91 Silver 1
    edited September 25, 2024 10:08PM
    I think I found the culprit. Short version: uninstall the latest release of SQL Prompt and get the June 2024 version.

This was my trail of tears troubleshooting:

Uninstall all
    Reboot workstation
    Install SQL Compare
    Launch SQL Compare, did comparison - WORKS
    Install SQL Backup (launched SQL Backup, works fine)
    Install SQL Prompt (launched SSMS, SQL Prompt works fine)
    Launch SQL Compare, did comparison - FAILED, crash do desktop
    Close SSMS
    Launch SQL Compare, did comparison - FAILED, crash do desktop
    Uninstall SQL Prompt
    Install SQL Data Compare (launched, SQL Data Compare works fine)
    Install SQL Source Control (launched SSMS, SQL Source Control works fine)
    Install SQL Dependency Tracker 3.3 (launched SSMS, did dependency comparison, works fine)
    Install SSMS Integration Pack 3.2 (launched SSMS, did comparison, works fine)
    Install SQL Search 3.6 (launched SSMS, did search, works fine)
    Install SQL Doc 4.2 (launched and documented a database, works fine)
    At this point, I have installed everything I use from SQL Toolbelt.

The two things I use the most are SQL Prompt and SQL Compare.

I try installing SQL Prompt one more time to see if it has to do with the install order.

Try running SQL Compare - compared, clicked FAIL crash to desktop.

Uninstalled SQL Prompt 10.14.22.11347.

Downloaded older stable version SQL Prompt 10.14.21.9884, installed.

SQL Compare - WORKS FINE.

Moral of the story, something is wrong with SQL Prompt build 10.14.22.11347 and SQL Compare.
  • Hi All,

I can confirm we have created a ticket with our development team to look into this ongoing issue. Based on the post from @cstrub, I looked into the difference between both the .21 and .22 releases and can confirm there is a difference between the product versions within the .exe. I have passed on these findings to our development team.

Once there's an update, I'll let everyone know.

For now, the two workarounds are either downgrade to this version, or try and follow the procedure that @cstrub outlines.

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• RSyesterRSyester Posts: 1 New member
    cstrub said:
    Found an easy solution, locate SQLPrompt.Format.CommandLine.exe on your computer (was in "D:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 9" on my computer).

using Visual Studio (File-->Open on the EXE) correct the Product Version from 10.14.22.11347+e4f26ea... to 10.14.22.11347).  The issue is the Product Version for the file isn't valid for using with System.Version(string) method.

Hope this helps someone else who likes to be able to use SQL Prompt and SQL Compare
    This is the solution.  I had to launch VS as an admin though to save the file.