"Invalid bytes count" popup on previously working saved project (Manual Connection)

I have a saved .ocp file that specifies a comparison setup in Schema Compare for Oracle.  opening it and running it has previously worked.  I have tried several projects from RedGate Schema Compare 6 (I also updated to 6.3 this morning) - all attempts to all databases (3 Oracle DBs, 4 envs each, I tried 8 different projects ) are all failing with the popup "Invalid bytes count".  This occurs when clicking test to validate the credentials.

Searching Google and the forums failed me - Obviously, from the popup, there is something wrong with the number of bytes here, but I couldn't find any details in logs to determine if this is a RedGate problem or Oracle DB driven issue.  Since I can connect to each of the DBs without issue from the same machine where running RedGate softare, my current assumption is RedGate is where the solve will occur.

Looking for any thoughts on what could drive this or information on where I should be able to find logs tied to this failure.

I tried using the "standard" installation as well as the 32 bit (on 64 bit arch)

I could not find any logs that align within the timing of the experience in \users\<USERNAME>\AppData\RedGate or EventViewer for Windows (you never know). 

Oracle 19c DBs all of them.
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @edkiern

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your Oracle Schema Compare concern.

We have received a few reports of this bug coming through due to an issue in Oracle V19.24. A bug report is submitted with our developers, who are working on a fix.  

As a possible workaround in the interim, we have a client who has found the following worked for their environment. This may be useful for you to try whilst a formal fix is implemented into Schema Compare:

We were able to replicate this error on Schema Compare for Oracle 6 (desktop version) on the PC which had no Oracle client and your app was configured to connect to our server via Manual Connection tab. When we have Oracle Client installed and configured, using Manual Connection tab or TNS Connection tab connections were successful. After researching the network we found that other companies had faced the same issue. Here is a link to this problem:
    Oracle 19.24 + ASO + DirectMode (devart.com)

We have solved it by disabling this parameter on our database server in sqlnet.ora file:
    #SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER = requested
    #SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_TYPES_SERVER = (AES128)
    #SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER = requested
    #SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_SERVER = (SHA256,SHA1)

Please note this workaround is made within your environment and not within any Redgate product, we suggest appropriate backups in the event the fix needs to be reverted.

If you are using an earlier version of Oracle please advise as this may not be connected to this bug, and we will need to investigate further.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • edkiernedkiern Posts: 3 New member
    We tried this, and it sadly didn't work.  Most of those settings were already in place as well.

I guess I can try working with TNS connections, but that will require installing the Oracle Tools.  I'll work with my DBA group to figure this out next I suppose.

Any other advice out there?
  • edkiernedkiern Posts: 3 New member
    Well that's interesting.  I installed all the client tools for Oracle 19 in order to start setting up TNS route, and now the Manual Connection method is working.  I cannot say for sure why it is working now, but it is.