Deploying from a Script Folder to a Database

MichaelBerkowitzMichaelBerkowitz Posts: 2 New member
edited September 9, 2024 4:25PM in SQL Compare
Hello.

I use Redgate to link my database schema to Git, via a Script Folder.  Both the SQL Source Control tab in MSSMS and SQL Compare 15 (which I assume are based on the same underlying code) correctly identify the differences between the database schema and the DDL in the Script Folder files.  When I "Commit" my schema changes, the files are correctly updated.  However, when I made a change to the DDL in a file, the tools again correctly identified the difference but failed to generate a script to deploy the change in the file to the database.  Instead, there were a lot of calls to sp_refreshview and a call to sys.xp_logevent.

I'm hoping someone can explain how I'm misusing these tools.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Hi - thanks for reaching out. Are you comparing a scripts folder to a database in SQL Compare? What is the nature of the change that you've made. Screenshots may help here!
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks, David, for the quick response.  In the process of collecting supporting information I think I've solved my problem.  It seems that the table I was editing is system-versioned and I did the edit in the history table but not in the primary table.  When I make the edit in both, the deployment script generated seems to be correct.

Thanks again.