SQL Prompt suggestions won't update in Visual Studio

markloewmarkloew Posts: 3 New member
Using SQL Prompt 10.14.13.8134 in Visual Studio 17.9.0.  I have a databse project and the intellisense stopped updating itself awhile ago.  I still get intellisense suggestions but they are very old (like over a month).  I have tried the Ctrl+shift+D to force the update.  The dialog that it's scanning pops up for a second and then goes away but the suggestions never correct.  Anyway to kick it to start working again?  Just finally got to the point where I'm super annoyed by it being so out of date.

It is working fine in SSMS side of things.
Tagged:

Answers

• Good Morning Mark Loew, 

Thanks for reaching out to Redgate Software for your Prompt concern. I suspect you may be seeing issues as a result of the version of Visual Studio that you are utilizing, version 10.14.13.8134 of Prompt does not appear to be supported in version 17.9.0 of Visual Studio as Visual Studio 2017 has been deprecated by Redgate. You can find more information on this being End of Support on the following page:

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp/getting-started/requirements/end-of-support-for-visual-studio-2015-and-2017

That being said, I would recommend that you try either:

A. Downgrade SQL Prompt to a version older than v10.9 which should still be compatible with VS 2017

B. Upgrade Visual Studio to version 2019 or 2022 to make it compatible with Prompt. (This will also involve you reinstalling Prompt to get it to appear inside of Visual Studio as a tool)

Cheers,

Christian Perez
    Product Support Engineer

• markloewmarkloew Posts: 3 New member
    Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022 (64-bit) is version 17.9.0. 

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022
    Version 17.9.0
    VisualStudio.17.Release/17.9.0+34607.119
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.8.09037

Installed Version: Community

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2022   00482-90000-00000-AA584
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2022

Redgate SQL Prompt   1.0.0.0
    Write, format, and refactor SQL effortlessly

SQL Server Data Tools   17.9.51.1
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

SQL Server Integration Services   16.0.5397.1
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 16.0.5397.1

SQL Server Reporting Services   16.0.20583.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers 
    Version 16.0.20583.0

--- Actual SQL Prompt version is 10.14.13.8134 but shows up as 1.0 when you get version info from VS Help about.

• Apologies Mark,

You are certainly correct on the Visual Studio version mismatch! You should be compatible on version 2022 of VS as you mentioned, in which case, I would like to investigate further the Prompt Settings being used in Visual Studio. Could you confirm a couple of pathfinder items?

• Are you missing suggestions for all Databases in Visual Studio or an environment in particular
    • Could you please include your SQL Prompt logs from Visual Studio to this post
    • Lastly, I am including a screenshot of how you can export your Prompt settings in Visual Studio, please export your settings file and I can then load it locally for testing.
    Thanks for the assistance with the above and apologies for the Version mismatch.
  • markloewmarkloew Posts: 3 New member
    There is only 1 database project in this solution (other projects seem to have the same issue, other developers on the team have the same issue).

I have no idea where sql prompt has any logs so no clue how to get those for you.

Prompt.settings wouldn't attach directly so added .txt extension so it would attach.

Since the original question was asked I have gotten a new laptop on Windows 11 and all the same tools.  Still having the same problems here except now I don't ever get any intellisense.