SQL Managed Instance as deployment target

We are considering moving our production environment to SQL Managed Instance, but will be leaving all other environments as-is (i.e. VM based SQL instances SQL 2022).  Will SCA 4 work properly in this scenario?  Can the deployment target be SQL managed instance?  
This page https://documentation.red-gate.com/sca4/getting-started/system-requirements/supported-sql-server-versions
seems to indicate it is not supported, but is it only as the development source or both as source and deployment target?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• cperezcperez Posts: 29 Bronze 1
    Hi Garth,

Thanks for following up, you are absolutely right, I was misreading that same compatibility table you referenced, apologies for any confusion I caused. That being said, SCA supports all flavours of SQL Server (Including Azure SQL DB) with the exception of Azure SQL Database Managed Instances, however, the Azure Managed Instances while not officially supported, will probably still work, you just have to take under consideration that you would be unable to raise a support ticket if anything went wrong.

Regards,

Christian Perez

Answers

• Hi Garth,

Thanks for reaching out to Redgate Support regarding your SCA 4 compatibility question.

In this case SCA 4 only supports SQL Server Databases and Azure SQL Database Managed Instances, however, they should be supported both as the development and source environment database if they fall into either of the aforementioned categories.
  • Garth_MartinGarth_Martin Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    Thanks for your reply, but it seems to contradict the page I linked.  It clearly says "with the exception of" for SQL MI.  Any other ideas?

• Garth_MartinGarth_Martin Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    Thanks Christian, will take that under advisement.