Options

Use a script to compare a large number of databases on 2 instances

I have done a few searches and find some old references to using the command line, batch files, and xml but nothing really seems to fit what I want to do.
I have 2 instances on which we believe some of the Stored Procedures and functions have gotten out of sync.  We would like to be able to compare all these against the 2 instances without having to go through the GUI for each DB (over 200).
I was hoping there would be a way to pass in a file with a list of instance/database pairs db1 and db2 and output all the Stored Procedures and Functions with differences for that pair into a report.

I'd be happy if someone could just point me at the documentation if this is possible, I fear my ability to choose the right search terms is hampering my efforts.

Answers

• Options

Hi @cory.blythe

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your SQL Compare query.

It's very likely this is possible, using PowerShell to create a script to loop through all the dB's

In my example, you would use SQL Compare GUI to create a filter file that only compares Stored Procedures & Functions. 

Start a new project in SQL Compare for any database, once the project is loaded - set the filters in the left-hand menu to only show Stored Procedures & Functions

Save the file to a location to be accessed later.

Then using the SQL Compare command line, work out the statement you need to run - passing in the /db1 /db2 /filter /report switches as a possible minimum

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc/using-the-command-line

I have a rough outline of a script that would achieve this.

Assuming that the db.csv file contains a comma-separated list of values of your database pairs 

db1,db2
    database1, database2
    database3, database4

Then an example script to loop through the list & output reports to a folder:

#Define the path to SQLCompare.exe, the filter file, and the CSV file
    $SQLComparePath = "C:\Path\To\SQLCompare.exe"
    $FilterFile = "C:\Path\To\filter.scpf"
    $CsvFile = "C:\Path\To\db.csv"
    $ReportFolder = "C:\Path\To\Reports"

#Create the report folder if it does not exist
    if (-Not (Test-Path -Path $ReportFolder)) {
    New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $ReportFolder
    }

Import the CSV file
    $dbPairs = Import-Csv -Path $CsvFile

#Loop through each row in the CSV and run SQLCompare.exe for each db1/db2 pair
    foreach ($pair in $dbPairs) {
        $db1 = $pair.db1
        $db2 = $pair.db2

# Generate a unique filename for the report
        $timestamp = Get-Date -Format "yyyyMMddHHmmss"
        $reportFile = "$ReportFolder\\Report_${db1}_vs_${db2}_$timestamp.html"

# Construct the SQLCompare command
        $command = "$SQLComparePath /db1:$db1 /db2:$db2 /filter:$FilterFile /Report:$reportFile /reportType:Html /synchronize"

# Output the command to console for verification (optional)
        Write-Output $command

# Execute the SQLCompare command
        & $SQLComparePath /db1:$db1 /db2:$db2 /filter:$FilterFile /Report:$reportFile /reportType:Html /synchronize
    }

Hopefully this helps you on the path to achieving your goal to compare multiple databases automatically

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software