Creating new project errors

Randomly this morning after updating to 7.2.4 desktop client, I get the following error message while attempting to create a new project within Flyway Desktop GUI:

Failed to parse the response from the flyway CLI as json.: Failed to parse result '' as json: Unexpected end of JSON input

I tried to run a 'flyway repair' from command like and I run into this: 

Exception in thread "main" java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: org.flywaydb.core.extensibility.Plugin: Provider org.flywaydb.comparison.engines.SqlServerComparisonPerformer could not be instantiated
        at java.base/java.util.ServiceLoader.fail(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.ServiceLoader$ProviderImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.ServiceLoader$ProviderImpl.get(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.ServiceLoader$3.next(Unknown Source)
        at org.flywaydb.core.internal.plugin.PluginRegister.registerPlugins(PluginRegister.java:83)
        at org.flywaydb.core.internal.plugin.PluginRegister.getPlugins(PluginRegister.java:73)
        at org.flywaydb.core.internal.plugin.PluginRegister.getPlugins(PluginRegister.java:46)
        at org.flywaydb.core.FlywayTelemetryManager.<init>(FlywayTelemetryManager.java:45)
        at org.flywaydb.commandline.Main.main(Main.java:85)
Caused by: java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: class org.flywaydb.core.api.CoreErrorCode can not implement org.flywaydb.core.api.ErrorCode, because it is not an interface (org.flywaydb.core.api.ErrorCode is in unnamed module of loader 'app')
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.findClassOnClassPathOrNull(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClassOrNull(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at org.flywaydb.comparison.engines.SqlServerComparisonPerformer.<init>(SqlServerComparisonPerformer.java:808)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

Am I missing a dependency to run the new desktop client version? I tried fully re-installing but I had no luck. 
Tagged:

Answers

• Hello onynixi,

Thank you for raising this. I've not been able to replicate this outcome, what OS are you running Desktop on please and what db type did you select from your project?
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • onynixiaonynixia Posts: 3 New member
    Windows 11 23h2 and MS SQL server.

I tried installing the new 7.2.4 client on an alternate machine and was able to create a new project without any problems. I suspect something was cached during the update that might have broke my install. Is there any instructions to delete installation cached folders or settings on a user profile? I could recreate my user profile but I will save that as a final option.
  • I'd be most interested if you are able to recreate the circumstance!

As for clean up, if you uninstall conventionally and also delete the following directory contents this will ensure you only use the downloaded version.
    %localappdata%\Temp\Redgate\Flyway Desktop\updates

For verification of download integrity the sha256 of the Flyway Desktop_7.2.5.0_x64 installer is
    39dbed104866914b1c8caff62e06ce663d730e28d9c28481a8fd6a9e4701383f

Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • nutmix2nutmix2 Posts: 6 New member
    I "upgraded" from 7.2.4 to 7.3.5, now if I create a new project or open an existing one, I always get:

Failed to parse the response from the flyway CLI as json

There is nothing useful in verbose log files.

I tried repairing, uninstalling and reinstalling from the downloaded installer, nothing helps, i'm bricked from using flyway.

Windows 10.
  • onynixiaonynixia Posts: 3 New member
    edited July 15, 2024 4:28PM
    @nutmix2 I was able to resolve the issue. If you go into the desktop client and open the about page, you should get a version number back on "flyway engine". If you don't then your install is bad or there are remnants of the previous install leftover. For me I uninstalled the application, deleted "C:\Program Files\Red gate\Flyway Desktop" folder that remained after the removal, and then installed the application like normal. Hope this helps.
  • nutmixnutmix Posts: 5 New member
    I resolved the issue by uninstalling 7.3.6 and going back to 7.2.4. Now I can open existing projects and create new projects.  We were lucky one developer still had a copy of the old installer.  From now on we will keep a library of old versions in case we need to revert.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file