How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Automatic Updates Issue

Hello,  Ive been working on creating a PowerShell script that will update Redgate monitor but I've ran into some issues.  I currently have a working script that downloads the web installer and base installer and then I extract the .msi file from them.  However from the working examples Ive found it says to download the base installer from here http://${smWebHost}:501/Download/SQLMonitorBaseMonitorInstaller.exe but when I do that it installs the current version im running and not the updated one.  For example I was previously on 13.6 and I downloaded version 14 of the installer here https://download.red-gate.com/SQLMonitor.exe and then I downloaded the base installer and it is still 13.6.  Am I getting confused or missing something?

Answers

• Options
    Kurt_MKurt_M Posts: 183 Silver 1
    Hi @jaket1998

That's strange that its picking up a previous version. If you head into the Settings > Configuration > Base Monitors and manually check the download link, what does it show?

You can also double check the file manually by going into the Download folder and going into the Properties > Details screen of the .exe:

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor\Web\wwwroot\Download

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• Options
    jaket1998jaket1998 Posts: 3 New member
    Hey Kurt thanks for the response.  When I go there it does show the current version im running.  Is it supposed the be the current version or is there supposed to be an updated base installer I need for the script?
    In my environment, I'm currently on the versions in the picture.  For the automated updates,  I can install the new version for the web here which is 14.0.2, but when I go to the base monitor download it still is set to 14.0.0.7532 just like in the picture.  Is it supposed to be using the current version installer in the script?  

Whenever I currently run my script it fully completes but then I get a 500 error on the website causing me to rerun the installer without the script to fix it.  I figured this might be the reason why, but could be wrong.
  • Options
    Kurt_MKurt_M Posts: 183 Silver 1
    Hi @jaket1998

The link that I highlighted should always be a download of the base monitor for the version of the web service you have installed. This file comes from the web folder, which means that whenever the web service is installed, that base monitor .exe comes with it. 

Regarding your comment: "When I go there it does show the current version im running.  Is it supposed the be the current version or is there supposed to be an updated base installer I need for the script?"

It's supposed to be the current version.

For the URL you are using to pull down the downloader, this version is currently 14.0.0.7, just like the version you have displayed in your screenshots, but if you want the latest version now to test, you can pull it from the following link: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/RedgateMonitorWebService/

Try manually downloading this version for now, and then run your script after extracting the .msi. After it installs the web service, manually check the web folder (C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor\Web\wwwroot\Download) and see what version of the base monitor .exe it has. It should be displaying the same version as the web service you have downloaded.

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• Options
    DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 198 Silver 5
    I had written my own PowerShell script for automatic updates some time ago which worked flawlessly.  After initially running it on on version 14, with the rebranding of the product name and paths, I found I needed to make a number of revisions to it to accommodate for the path changes.  Not sure if you are having the same issue, but something to check.
  • Options
    jaket1998jaket1998 Posts: 3 New member
    @Kurt_M Thanks that actually helps a lot and solved my issue.  My script was initially downloading both the installers at first(web & base) instead of downloading and installing the web and then downloading and installing the base.