How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

What is RG_WhatsChanged_v4

We have RedGate SQL Monitor and that is the only product we have.  I've noticed RG_WhatsChanged_v4 running on one of our servers.  Everything I've seen from a google searc talks about Source Control which we have not purchased.

Do we need this running in our environment?  If so, is there somewhere in SQL Monitor where we can see the Schema Drift or output from this proc?

Answers

• Options

Hi @MikeC_HL

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your question into RG_WhatsChanged_v4.

This process is indeed from SQL Source Control.  It is the mechanism used by SQL Source Control to detect changes to databases that are linked to it.  

If the server you are auditing has a database linked to SQL Source Control on a users' workstation will have the "RG_WhatsChanged_V4" object.  

To change timing on this procedure, it is conducted through the users instance of SQL Source Control in the options. Modifying the third option highlighted below will change the frequency of the procedure running on your monitored instance.

If you uncheck this option I believe it will stop the query (except perhaps when you commit/refresh/get latest).

You did mention that you only use SQL Monitor. 

It may be possible that a user has installed SQL Source Control directly or as part of our SQL Toolbelt bundles as a trial. 

In this instance, it is potentially likely that you will have the proc running against an instance and showing in SQL Monitor

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    MikeC_HLMikeC_HL Posts: 2 New member
    Thank you!  I don't see it on our other servers so the our 3rd Party vendor must have slipped that in.