How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

all activity at point in time

Hi- Is it possible to view all SQL activity at a specific point in time? The current activity results are, well current. Is there a way to go back to a specific minute to see what was occurring? The top queries in the overview shows some but not all of what I am looking for. Also, top queries does not show all spids at a specific minute. Please let me know if that functionality is available or not. I read forum thread https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/89527/sql-monitor-show-all-activity and it seems close to what I am asking about but not sure. 

Thanks,
Mark Maddox
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi @MarkMaddox,

The narrowest time period you can set the focus window to is 15 minutes, so you can see what is occurring during the 15 minute focus window.

The Top Queries section is gathered from various sys.dm_exec_* DMVs (see this page) and represents aggregate information for queries that have completed during the focus window time frame.

There is also the SQL User Processes (top 10 by CPU), which gathers data from sys.sysprocesses (see this page) and is information on the process that is (or was) running at that time.  This can show queries that have not ended yet.

You can use the "Back in Time" mode (see this page) to go back to a specific date/time where you can then set the focus window to a 15 minute minimum time period.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?