How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

SSL Certificate for SQL Monitor HTTPS

Hi there, 

I have recently configured HTTPS for a client to be able to log into SQL Monitor. They wanted it enabled for additional security which is fair enough. However, I am struggling to figure out to get an SSL certificate and add it to the endpoint. I have had a look into Let's Encrypt, however themselves, along with many others on the internet have pointed out that Let's Encrypt will not work for internal DNS, which is what the server hosting SQL Monitor is under. 

I wanted to ask what the official method or process is for obtaining an SSL cert from a CA and adding it to the https endpoint. For context, we are using the official built-in Kestrel web server and not IIS. I can also confirm that getting to the HTTPS endpoint after updating the config files as per your official documentation is up and running. It's just the certificate I am struggling with. 

Many thanks for your time

Louis 

Answers

• Options
    Hi Louis

If you have internal certificate authority, this should be able to create a self-signed certificate for you.

If not you can create a self-signed one with something like openssl, however this will then need to be installed on machines accessing as it will not be trusted by default as it is self-signed.

Or as you mentioned can use Let's Encrypt for an externally signed one but the DNS name will need to match with the certificate.

For Redgate Monitor we would expect you to have the certificates to apply to the web server.