How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Blocking report

Hi
Blocking  report shows blocking fragment as it happened and  list of blocked process .On the list of blocked processes shows  process that is currently blocked and others that started 5,10 days ago and never been blocked.. Reason that i am saying 'never' because 5 ,10 days ago SQL Monitor never alert me about those blocked processes.

Am i missing something?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi @hayko1998,

The "Processes" tab shows the head blocker at the top and then the blocking chain of all blocked processes. 

The time shown for the blocked processes (highlighted in yellow) is the Start time of the process, not when it started being blocked.  So it sounds like you have received a blocking alert and some of the processes that are blocked are ones that started several days ago, but are only now being blocked by the process the alert was raised for.

If that doesn't help or doesn't seem to be the case, then please share a screenshot as above or text of the Processes tab and we can have a further look.  If you aren't able to share that here, let me know and we can reach out via a support ticket.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    hayko1998hayko1998 Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    Hi Alex
    Thank you for your response.
    But, 'blocked' processes that started days ago are simple Select statements .Usual duration of  these processes are milliseconds.
    So, per your explanation my simple SELECT statement started days ago and was running for days. Days later got blocked by another process?
    Please correct me if my assumption is not correct

Regards,

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi @hayko1998,

Does yours say "Start time:" or "Start time (estimated):"? 

If it says "Start time", it will be the start_time of the query as seen in sys.dm_exec_requests

If it says "Start time (estimated):" then it will be the 
    sqlserver_start_time  of the SQL Server instance from sys.dm_os_sys_info.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?