Options

SQL Prompt not working

We're using latest version of SQL Prompt, and all of our developers are facing an issue where the suggestion window does not show the column names as shown in the screenshot

This is not isolated, its all users, in all machines, physical laptops, VM's etc...

Using Azure database
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi @Faizul_Hussain

Can I ask are you using an Azure Managed Instance authentication using Entra MFA (Azure AD MFA)?

Kind regards

Dan Calver | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    Hi @DanC,

Yes we are using Entra with MFA

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi @Faizul_Hussain

This is currently a known issue with Azure Managed Instances and using Entra with MFA

Could you downgrade to using this version here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.14.6.5992.exe

Then also use SSMS versions 18.12.1 or 19.2

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    Hi @DanC,

This issue happens even with local instance of SQL Server, not just Azure Managed instances

I have tried SSMS 19.2 and SQLPrompt_10.14.6.5992.exe

Thanks
  • Options
    I have tried SSMS 19.2 and SQLPrompt_10.14.6.5992.exe
  • Options
    Hi @Faizul_Hussain

We had a release today which should address the issue when on the latest version of SSMS: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.14.10.7538.exe

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    Same issue unfortunately :(
  • Options
    Hi @Faizul_Hussain

I'm going to reach out via a support ticket to investigate this further with you

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    I am running into this same issue.  Logs show the following error:

Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user '<token-identified principal>'.
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover, Boolean isFirstTransparentAttempt, Boolean disableTnir)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, ServerCertificateValidationCallback serverCallback, ClientCertificateRetrievalCallback clientCallback, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, SqlClientOriginalNetworkAddressInfo originalNetworkAddressInfo, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
       at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at Microsoft.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, SqlConnectionOverrides overrides)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open(SqlConnectionOverrides overrides)
       at Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Cache.Candidates.DatabaseCandidate.LoadDatabase()

This only occurs when logged in via Entra MFA

SSMS Version: 19.3.4.0
    SQL Prompt: 10.14.10.7538
  • Options
    DougYDougY Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    DanC said:
    Hi @Faizul_Hussain

I'm going to reach out via a support ticket to investigate this further with you
    Is there a resolution or an upcoming resolution for this?  SQL Prompt stopped popping up the IntelliSense and the auto complete which defeat one of its main features.  Trying to downgrade, the closest version available is V9.5, unless I am missing something on the download page.

SQL Prompt -- 10.14.10.7538
    SSMS -- 18.12.1

Thanks,

• Options
    SparxSparx Posts: 2 New member
    I have the exact same issue and have tried reinstalling multiple times with no success. Has anyone found a solution? Found that any updates have worked?  
  • Options
    Hi @Sparx

Unfortunately, this is still currently a bug in the tool

I would advise reaching out with a support ticket to keep updated

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    DougYDougY Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    Checking the 'Trust server certificate' when connecting to the server resolved the issue for me.

• Options
    SparxSparx Posts: 2 New member
    DougY said:
    Checking the 'Trust server certificate' when connecting to the server resolved the issue for me.

Wow, yeah I tried everything including the checkbox above. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything at least a couple times. Finally, I thought maybe it was still something to do with the connection I had setup to my server. I looked up how to delete it and you just choose the dropdown for the connection and hit the delete button. I re-entered my server and credentials, checked the boxes as Doug has above, and things worked again. For my issue it had something to do with my connection setup even beyond just check the box that must've been messed up, so I'd suggest just deleting it and redo the connection as new while ensure the Trust Server Certificate box is checked. Might not fix everything but it's a small thing to do that fixed my issue after trying everything else.
  • Options
    markecyumarkecyu Posts: 1 New member
    None of the above worked for me either. Azure MFA connection generates in logs:
    SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user '<token-identified principal>'.