Options

Callbacks and Database Sessions

Hi

It looks like my beforeMigrate callback in not being run in the same session as the migration.

I am using Sybase/SAP ASE version 16.

I'd like to run a database command to turn replication off before running the migration, but it needs to be in the same session as the migration. The callback and the migration seem to be running in different database sessions.

Is there any way to ensure the two run in the same session? Or another way I can achieve this with Flyway?

Thanks

Ben

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    BenTimbrellBenTimbrell Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks Peter, that has worked. Ben
  • Options
    tarun2790tarun2790 Posts: 1 New member
    In Sybase/SAP ASE, database commands executed within a migration's `beforeMigrate` callback and the migration itself typically run within the same database session. However, there are scenarios where this may not be the case, especially if there are external factors or configurations affecting session management.

Here are a few steps you can take to ensure that both the `beforeMigrate` callback and the migration itself run in the same session:

1. **Check Callback Configuration**: Make sure that your callback is properly configured and registered to execute before the migration. Ensure that there are no asynchronous operations or callbacks interfering with the session management.

2. **Verify Session Persistence**: Confirm that your database connection and session persistence settings are configured correctly. Sessions should be maintained throughout the execution of both the callback and the migration.

3. **Avoid Connection Pooling Issues**: If you're using connection pooling, ensure that the same connection is reused for both the callback and the migration. Sometimes connection pooling can lead to different database sessions being used for different operations.

4. **Review Transaction Handling**: Check if transactions are being used in your migrations or callbacks. Transactions can affect session behavior, so ensure that transactions are committed or rolled back appropriately.

5. **Consult Sybase/SAP ASE Documentation**: Refer to the official documentation or contact support to see if there are any known issues or specific configurations related to session management that might be affecting your setup.

6. **Debugging and Logging**: Implement logging or debugging mechanisms within your callback and migration scripts to track session IDs or other relevant session information. This can help diagnose any inconsistencies in session management.

If you've verified these aspects and still encounter issues with session management, consider reaching out to the Sybase/SAP ASE community or support for further assistance. They may be able to provide insights or recommendations specific to your environment and setup. Mulesoft Developer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file