How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Adding Windows SQL Server Host

cjaucjau Posts: 2 New member
edited January 3, 2024 1:39AM in Redgate Monitor
Hi Team,

I've got an issue adding a Windows SQL Server Host, everything seems OK when adding the Windows server, as below:

But it appears as though my SQL Server instance isn't detected or added:

FYI, I've tried both hostname and IP address when adding the server, which doesn't seem to make any difference. It's not a cluster and is just the default named SQL instance.

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated, thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi cjau,
    Thank you for your forum post.

By default, the account given to SQL Monitor Base Monitor service on the machine where the SQL Monitor Base Monitor is installed.  Maybe the account given to Base Monitor service does not have permissions to the SQL Instance.

This help article explains the permissions required.

This help article explains how to add a server for monitoring.  Under Credentials ->SQL Server instances ->The default setting is to use same credentials as host machine.  You can change this to use a SQL authenticated account.

Otherwise, will need to review the SQL Monitor Log Files.  To obtain the log files, go to Configuration page in the UI -> under Diagnostics -> click Retrieve log files.  This action creates a zip containing the log files.  You can then open the files in test editor.  SQL Monitor generates a high number of log entries of what it is performing.  If you wish that the Redgate Product Support Team review the log files, please send a copy of the zip file generated to support@red-gate.com which will generate a support ticket for you.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    cjaucjau Posts: 2 New member
    Thank you for getting back to me Eddie.

The account used is the administrative account on the host machine, I've also tried using separate SQL login details for that specific SQL instance to no avail.

I'll generate and send the log files in to be reviewed.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    I believe this problem is now resolved after following steps in the Monitoring host Windows machines without admin permissions section of this help document.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com