Options

Flyway schema files .rgm vs .sql

Hi there,

I am new to Flyway desktop. When I tried creating schema model of my Postgres DB using Flyway, it created all the objects script as .rgm files but I was expecting .sql files. Is it actually possible to generate .sql files? or do I have to live with .rgm? 
thanks

Answers

• Options
    Thank you for the question mohammad.hafizullah,

Yes in Flyway both Postgres and MySQL use the .rgm format instead.
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    ashvagandaashvaganda Posts: 4 New member
    So, I've been scratching my head a bit okay, maybe more than a bit trying to wrap my head around the pros and cons of each. From what I've gathered, RGM seems pretty slick with its version control and rollback capabilities. But then, SQL is like that old, reliable friend who's been around since the dawn of time or at least since I started coding.
  • Options
    That's fair, we're not unaware of the appeal of native sql files and their ease of use certainly counts for a lot.
    On the downside, this necessitates two separate conversion stages rather than one with the newer model and we're more rapidly diversifying db scripting now.

We've had script authorship for SQL Server and Oracle for ~12 years, and we've added MySQL, Postgres and well on our way with Snowflake in the last 2 years. It makes a big difference to our ability to be agile.

That said, if you do find some knock on effects to the architectural decision, please do let me know!
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file