Options

Clones disappearing

Last weekend a clone disappeared from the system. This occurs more often the last months, en worries me. What is going on? We use version 5.4.21 of SQL Clone

Answers

• Options
    @Gert_Vlot did you get an answer to this? Did you find out why this was happening?

If you look at the SQL Clone DB and look in the Clones table it should tell you the status of any clones (in particular the ones that went missing) and it might help you shine a light on why it's happening...?
  • Options
    Gert_VlotGert_Vlot Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    @TheMaskedData Thank you for your suggestion. I will have a look for that. The support team is investigating my problem at this moment.
  • Options
    @Gert_Vlot no problems! The support team at Redgate is awesome so I'm sure they'll have some great ideas! :-)

In my experience when clones go missing it's been because:

1) Someone who has admin access to the SQL Clone console has been deleting them thinking they're cleaning them up
    OR
    2) A PowerShell script (or Agent Job) has been set up to drop databases in the environment as part of a weekly/monthly refresh of environments, or clearing up certain databases with certain naming patterns 
    OR
    3) Someone is dropping the databases e.g. through SSMS thinking they're no longer required

Whatever happens, the activity history in the Clone server, status of the Clones from the SQL Clone Config DB or SQL Server logs should shed some light on it! I'd be curious to hear if SQL Clone still thought the clones exist although they've been removed from the Instance.