Options

SQL Backup 9.2.7.543 suddenly started failing with SSL errors

Hi, 
We are using SQL the above version of SQL backup on SQL Server 2017 on Windows Server 2016. It has been working flawlessly until it started failing with the error:
SQL error 18: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.
In late November. The only changes on the server which coincided with the start of the failures were the installation of updates:
2023-11 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB5031989)
2023-11 Servicing Stack Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB5032391)
2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB5032197)

My hunch is that it was the .NET update, but has anyone seen this before? TLS 1, and 1.1 are disabled, but 1.2 is enabled.

Best Answer

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi AlecRM,
    Thank you for your forum post.

Like you, I suspect that the updates applied in November has most likely caused the SQL error 18: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

The version of SQL Backup you are using is over 5 years old and therefore not kept pace with the changes to SSL and TLS.

The latest version of SQL Backup is now V10.1.24.

Looking at the release notes for SQL Backup 10.1, the most recent update to SQL Backup's ssl libraries occurred in V10.1.22 released earlier this year, July 2023.

I recommend that you upgrade SQL Backup to the latest version at your earliest convenience.  Also read through the release notes as there are other changes to supported .Net Framework version and the removal of SQL Server Compact Edition and it being replaced with a SQLite database to store the SQL Backup activity history.  Also if you make use of the Hosted Storage feature, there are also changes here post V9.2.7 you need to be aware off.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com

Answers