Options

Can I tag a tab to not be recorded in history?

N38N38 Posts: 3 New member
edited November 29, 2023 10:54PM in SQL Prompt
Can I mark an SSMS tab or add a tag to a query to prevent it from going into SQL History? As a DBA, there are times we may need to create a SQL login or change the password on an existing login. I'm wondering if I have any options to mark a tab or query as private or do not store history so that it will not be stored in the SqlHistory.db file (which is plain text readable) without having to disable all SQL history.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks, I'll use that work around for now. Any chance I could suggest the ability to mark a tab as private as a future improvement? In light of trends to major companies being ransomed, it doesn't takes much imagination to see how some queries stored in plain text could be considered a security risk.
  • Options
    It was not a problem at all. You could raise this as a feature request using our UserVoice forum:
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt
  • Options
    I have seen some references to that site but was generally concerned with it's authenticity as I don't appear to be able to use the same login I do here and have to create a new one. When I started creating a new one, I got an email that had no references to RedGate at all but that wanted me to "Approve this login" to "Production" but doesn't have any information about a login name, a site, or that it was related to Redgate at all. The only way I figured it was related was that the bottom of the email states "Security by Magic" and I can see the same symbol on the bottom of the create account please register this device popup.

So I'll go ahead and verify but it might be worth bringing up internally that the way new users get access to the uservoice page could use a rework to help them know that it is in fact related to RedGate uservoice. :nerd: