Options

SQL Search not working with System-versioned tables

VratislavVratislav Posts: 12 New member
edited November 24, 2023 11:05AM in SQL Search
Hi,
I downloaded the newest version of SQL Search and when I try to search system-versioned table, then it will find it, but when I click on "Select in Object Explorer" then it will expand all tables in current Database and "select" anything. Is it problem with SQL Search or is it related to SSMS (version 18.12.1)?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi @Vratislav

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this.

I appear to be seeing the same behavior here also. In my example I have a database containing one system-versioned table and one non system-versioned table. I perform a search that serves up results for the system-versioned table, I then right click one of the results and pick 'Select in Object Explorer'. This then expands both tables in Object Explorer and highlights the database name (rather than just the system-versioned table name).

If I perform the same actions for the non system-versioned table, only that table will be highlighted in Object Explorer.

Just for clarity, before I escalate this to our development team, does my example match what you are seeing?
    Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hi @Dan_J
    thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the behavior on my laptop is little bit different. Even when I click "Select in Object Explorer" to my history table via system-versioned table or "main" system-versioned table, both options do the same. It will expand all my tables on next "expand level" (I will see Columns, Keys, Constrains, Triggers, Indexes and Statistics icons - no details as column names etc.). And all of these tables expand on the Database where my system-versioned table is. This selection will not highlight anything, the object explorer just stop on my last table (still no highlight). I attached also screenshots.

Vratislav
  • Options
    Hi @Vratislav

Thanks for your reply on this. My apology for the delay in coming back to you.

I was able to reproduce the behavior you are describing and have escalated this to our development team. They agree that this looks to be a bug in the product.

I will come back to you with another update as soon as I hear more.
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hi @Dan_J
    Thank you.

Vratislav
  • Options
    Hi @Vratislav

Thank you for your patience with us on this.

I'm pleased to advise that our development team have released a fix for this issue you reported:

Fixes

• Fixed an issue where selecting a system versioned table would expand all tables.
    The latest version of SQL Search can be downloaded directly from: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.6.12.4244.exe.

I hope this helps, however please don't hesitate in coming back to us if this issue continues for you even after updating.

Kind regards

• Options
    Hi @Dan_J
    I already tested provided version and now it is working with system-versioned tables. Thank you.

Vratislav
  • Options
    Hi @Vratislav

That's great, I'm glad to hear this issue is now resolved for you.
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hello @Dan_J
    I've just noticed that unexpected behavior, which I described above, still persist when I choose the history table, not the main one. The main one is working as I expect.

Best regards,
    Vratislav