Options

Deploy data in column only existing in the source

How do I deploy data to a column, that has not yet been created in the target table. I have to create scripts for the production environment, sql and data changes in one. Data Compare finds the new columns and marked them as unmapped columna, but I can't include them in the script.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi @CCdbs

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums.

SQL Data Compare does not have capabilities to create data on non-existent columns. To compare the data columns must be mapped between source & target.

In this situation, you would need to create the column before running the comparison. 

It would be possible to use SQL Compare to compare the schema and create this missing column and then run Data Compare to match the data within the column

Example of this process below:

1. In SQL Compare, the comparison highlights the missing column. Use SQL Compare to deploy the update script to add the column into the target 
    2. This is confirmed in SQL Data Compare with the unmapped column
    3. After deployment, refresh the project in SQL Data Compare. The column should now be mapped and able to have data syncing.

Hope this helps with your requirements.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    CCdbsCCdbs Posts: 5 New member
    Hi Jon
    Thank you for your thorough description. But my problem is, that I have no access to our production environment, so I have to create all updating-scripts for the database at one time and send them to another department (offshore) and they will execute the updates, some day.
    I know it will be difficult for you to make a new option in Sql Data Compare, saying something like "Include data for new columns", but it would be nice :-)

• Options

SQL Compare should not require any more access to your production environment than what you are hoping to achieve with SQL Data Compare.

It should be possible for Compare to create those scripts for you, which could then be forwarded to the other department.

Instead of deploying using SQL Compare you can generate a deployment script straight into your IDE which could be saved and shared

Otherwise, I can suggest posting your feature request onto our UserVoice page for SQL Data Compare.

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/147879-sql-data-compare

This provides a direct route to our development & product teams on features that users are wanting implemented into our tools and helps shape future product feature development

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software