How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Monitor error, SqlDatabaseSampler

TeunvdBiggelaarTeunvdBiggelaar Posts: 12 Bronze 1
edited November 13, 2023 12:36PM in Redgate Monitor
Hi all, 

Last week i've updated to version 13.0.39 and I noticed that a few servers are getting a "monitoring error"  on the Overview page.

When i click on the message this is the error message:

Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

When I deepdive on the server i get all the metrics and it appears green.

Did anyone experience this before? 
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    SigneSigne Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Hi!
    I´m having the same problem after updating to 13.0.39: 
    Hoping for a fix asap as I really like the Index-tab.
  • Options
    Hi all,

What version of SQL Server are these instances you are seeing the problem with?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hi!
    For me it is SQL Server 2019 CU22, but I have other instances with the same version that shows correctly. 
    Cheers, Signe
  • Options
    Alex B said:
    Hi all,

What version of SQL Server are these instances you are seeing the problem with?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Hi Alex. It happens to one of the servers running on 2019, others seem to be fine.

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (RTM-CU22-GDR) (KB5029378) - 15.0.4326.1 (X64)   Aug 18 2023 14:05:15   Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2019 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 17763: ) (Hypervisor) 
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,134 Diamond 4
    edited November 14, 2023 12:09PM
    Hi all,

Do you get the error if you run this query against the target SQL instance that you see the error for in SQL Monitor?
    SELECT  db.name ,
            db.state_desc ,
            db.is_auto_create_stats_on ,
            db.is_auto_shrink_on ,
            db.collation_name ,
            db.compatibility_level ,
            db.create_date ,
            db.page_verify_option_desc ,
            db.recovery_model_desc ,
            db.database_id ,
            db.source_database_id ,
            db.is_in_standby ,
            db.is_read_only,
    		ISNULL((SELECT 1 FROM [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases] WHERE ls.[secondary_database] = db.name),0) AS is_log_shipping_secondary,
            SUSER_SNAME(owner_sid) [owner]
    FROM    sys.databases db
     LEFT OUTER JOIN [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases] AS ls
            ON ls.[secondary_database] = db.name
    ORDER BY db.name

And if so, what is returned by the subquery here:
    SELECT 1 FROM [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases] WHERE [secondary_database] = db.name

And how have you configured things to get this result?

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Alex B said:
    Hi all,

Do you get the error if you run this query against the target SQL instance that you see the error for in SQL Monitor?...

I get the same error if I run the first query and this when I run the second:
    Msg 4104, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
    The multi-part identifier "ls.secondary_database" could not be bound.
    Msg 4104, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
    The multi-part identifier "db.name" could not be bound.

It is a named instance with logshipping, so it has a couple of databases in restoring mode. The default instance on the cluster has been uninstalled, maybe there are some remains of this that could somehow be the culprit?
    Cheers, Signe
  • Options
    Hi @Signe,

I forgot to take out the "ls." when I took that subquery out of the main one above it, apologies for that.  I've edited it above but it is here again corrected now:
    SELECT 1 FROM [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases] WHERE [secondary_database] = db.name

Are any of the databases in restoring mode that are a part of log shipping the secondary for multiple different primaries?  We're trying to understand how the subquery could return more than one entry unless the seoncdary_database was in there multiple times, but that should only occur if it is the secondary for multiple primaries which, though seems possible to set, doesn't make sense.

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Alex B said:
    Hi @Signe,

I forgot to take out the "ls." when I took that subquery out of the main one above it, apologies for that.  I've edited it above but it is here again corrected now:

Are any of the databases in restoring mode that are a part of log shipping the secondary for multiple different primaries?  We're trying to understand how the subquery could return more than one entry unless the seoncdary_database was in there multiple times, but that should only occur if it is the secondary for multiple primaries which, though seems possible to set, doesn't make sense.

Kind regards,
    Alex

No worries :) The query returns:
    Msg 4104, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
    The multi-part identifier "db.name" could not be bound.

There´s only one primary logshipping to the instance, 5 databases with transaction logshipping and one with merge replication (yes, it sucks, but I hope to get rid of it rather soon... :)
    Cheers//Signe

• Options
    Alex B said:
    Hi all,

Do you get the error if you run this query against the target SQL instance that you see the error for in SQL Monitor?
    SELECT  db.name ,
            db.state_desc ,
            db.is_auto_create_stats_on ,
            db.is_auto_shrink_on ,
            db.collation_name ,
            db.compatibility_level ,
            db.create_date ,
            db.page_verify_option_desc ,
            db.recovery_model_desc ,
            db.database_id ,
            db.source_database_id ,
            db.is_in_standby ,
            db.is_read_only,
    		ISNULL((SELECT 1 FROM [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases] WHERE ls.[secondary_database] = db.name),0) AS is_log_shipping_secondary,
            SUSER_SNAME(owner_sid) [owner]
    FROM    sys.databases db
     LEFT OUTER JOIN [msdb].[dbo].[log_shipping_secondary_databases] AS ls
            ON ls.[secondary_database] = db.name
    ORDER BY db.name

And if so, what is returned by the subquery here:

And how have you configured things to get this result?

Kind regards,
    Alex

Hi Alex, 

The first query returned the same error as in SQL Monitor.
    The 2nd query doesn't work on it's own because its missing the db.name reference from the other part of the query, and in my case I have 3 logshipped databases on that host which are in a (Standby / Read-Only) state therefor.

Thanks, Teun
  • Options
    Hi all,

Apologies for the continued failure on the subquery - too much haste!

We've identified the problem and it is due to there being more than one log shipped database on the same instance.  The fix is in progress and should be available in the next release, likely tomorrow UK time.

I will update here further when that is available.

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    SEarle86SEarle86 Posts: 21 New member
    Hi,
    We have upgraded to 13.0.39.27122 and seeing the same issue:

However, the server has no log shipping databases.

I will wait for the expected release to see if that helps
  • Options
    Hi all,

SQL Monitor version 13.0.40 is now available with a fix for this issue.  You can download it here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLMonitorWeb/SQLMonitorWeb_13.0.40.27471.exe

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Hi Alex. I installed it on our development environment and i can confirm it solved the issue.

One small remark, since a few releases the finish button stays greyed out if you patch the basemonitor server. Maybe something for a next release as well :) ?

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Hi @TeunvdBiggelaar,

Great to hear that fixed the SqlDatabaseSampler issue!

For the other, does this only happen on the Base Monitor only installer or do you also see this happening when you run the main installer for web and BM?

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Only for the Basemonitor server.
  • Options
    Alex B said:
    Hi all,

SQL Monitor version 13.0.40 is now available with a fix for this issue.  You can download it here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLMonitorWeb/SQLMonitorWeb_13.0.40.27471.exe

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Finally got around to install 13.0.40 and it works like a charm! Thanks alot!
    Cheers//Signe
  • Options
    What i also noticed is that the new version consumes way less CPU and Memory on the Basemonitor server!
  • Options
    Hi @TeunvdBiggelaar,

The team has merged a fix for the Base Monitor only installer "Finish" button remaining greyed out.  This will go out in the next release!

Kind regards,
    Alex