Options

ADU with MFA Crashes SQL Compare

I have two projects that compare Azure SQL database instances to one another. Both projects use Active Directory universal with MFA authentication.

95% of the time, when I initiate a compare, the credentials popup is empty for a few seconds, and then SQL Compare just crashes: no error, it just disappears. 

Sometimes, I can edit the project(s) and select the Table Mapping tab, and it will authenticate but even that doesn't always work.

Please advise. Thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi @Dave Pendleton

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this, I'm sorry you're seeing this issue with SQL Compare!

Just some initial questions:

- Please can you confirm what version of SQL Compare you currently have installed?

- For clarity, when SQL Compare crashes does the entire application just close?

- Please can you ensure verbose logging is enabled before then recreating the issue and providing the resulting log file? (https://documentation.red-gate.com/sdc/troubleshooting/logging-and-log-files#:~:text=Verbose logging reports all messages,recommended to select No Logging.)

- Finally, has this issue only started happening recently or after something has changed?  
    Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Versions:

Windows 11 Enterprise 22h2 build 22621.2428
    SQL Compare 15.2.1.24235 Standard

The entire application crashes, no warnings, no error messages. I don't use SQL Compare much, but it has been going on for at least a month.
  • Options
    Hi @Dave Pendleton

Thanks for your reply on this, and for the log file!

Unfortunately, the log doesn't appear give much away regarding what could be causing this issue. I wonder if it might be worth completely removing SQL Compare (using the Microsoft removal tool), before then reinstalling the latest version of the product (v.15.2.2 - https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLCompare/SQLCompare_15.2.2.24260.exe)

Some additional questions also:

- Do you see this issue in both SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare?

- For absolute clarity on this - when you first launch SQL Compare, does the box to connect to your Source and Target databases persist long enough that you can see that SQL Compare has successfully connected to your databases?

- Is this only happening with a specific project(s)? For example, if you launch SQL Compare, create a new project, connect to your source and target databases and then run a comparison, do the same issue occur?

- Do you see these issues when comparing local databases (non Azure)?

- If you initiate a comparison from with SSMS (by right clicking on the database you want to compare and selecting "Schema compare/deploy"), do you still see the same issues when the SQL Compare UI launches? 
    Kind regards

• Options
    What about this?

10:05:39.876|Error  |SQL Compare         |7  |Failed to resolve item Microsoft.Identity.Client, Version=4.39.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0a613f4dd989e8ae. File C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Compare 15\Microsoft.Identity.Client.dll exists. File Version = 4.47.2.0. Product Version = 4.47.2+a03f4c4795f779f9b93bbab45c9228f167fed0a8. Assembly name = Microsoft.Identity.Client, Version=4.47.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0a613f4dd989e8ae. Assembly file version = 4.47.2.0. Assembly informational version = 4.47.2+a03f4c4795f779f9b93bbab45c9228f167fed0a8.

• Options
    Hi @Dave Pendleton

Thanks for your reply on this, my apology for the delay in coming back to you!

The error you've highlighted could be related, however it has been know to be a red herring previously. A couple of additional questions on this:

- What browser does the credentials pop up open in?
    - Do you have SQL Source Control installed? And if so, what version?
    - Finally, if you install this latest version of SQL Compare (https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLCompare/SQLCompare_15.2.3.24503.exe), do you continue to see the same issue?

Kind regards