Options

SQL History Search Not Matching Search Criteria

MelloxMellox Posts: 7 New member
Is there a new setting in SQL History for searching on whole words only (by casing) that I'm missing? I've noticed recently that when searching through SQL History that it fails to match as well as it used to. For example in looking for Client_PosSales_View with 'pos' it will find results. However, if I try typing partial of 'possales' it finds nothing until all of sales is included. Thus, if I wanted all of PosSales and PosSale returned I'm SoL.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi @Mellox

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this!

There have been no changes to SQL History that would cause the issue you are describing. In your example, if you try including a wildcard at the end of one of your searches (for example possa*), does that return Client_PosSales_View as a result?

Also, would you mind confirm what versions of SSMS and SQL Prompt you currently have installed? 

Finally, I'm including the link to our 'Searching SQL History' documentation page should it be helpful to you: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp10/ssms-tab-management/sql-history/searching-sql-history

Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hello Dan,

Thanks for the quick response!

So poss* will return results. Funny enough posS will too. Is there a setting for casing? Although in the documentation it states search text is case insensitive.

SSMS 19.1.56.0
    SQL Prompt 10.13.15.3135

Also, thinking about it, I'm not sure if this is result of some recent change as I didn't consider the casing. Can't recall ever trying a search with a difference in case so soon in my search word. Frequently use the search function; the new version is a lot better than the older one!
  • Options
    Dan_JDan_J Posts: 450 Silver 2
    edited October 25, 2023 1:46PM
    Hi @Mellox,

Thanks for your quick reply also!

That's very interesting, that you see results for both those searches. Our of interest, do you get results for searching poss?

There isn't a setting for casing unfortunately, and you're correct that searching is case insensitive. 
    Kind regards

• Options
    No, in typing past pos, the results go away until reaching possales. Let me also state that the results also disappear past the capitalization. So starting at posSa the results disappear also until PosSales.
  • Options
    Hi @Mellox

Thanks for your reply on this.

After further testing on this, I am too seeing the same inconsistent results when searching. I have escalated this to our development team and will come back to you on this again as soon as I have an update.
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hi @Mellox

Thanks for your patience with us on this.

Our development team have now looked at this and concluded that the behavior you have highlighted is expected. They have updated the SQL Search documentation (see the "Why am I not getting the results I expect?" section at the bottom of the page) to explain this: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp10/ssms-tab-management/sql-history/searching-sql-history#:~:text=Why am I not getting the results I expect? 

I hope this helps!
    Kind regards