Options

Profiling .NET 7 assemblies now supported

Contrary to the other ANTS profiler, our testing of ANTS Memory Profiler established that no modifications were needed to support .NET 7.

As such we've not released a new version, but have updated our documentation and release notes to establish that it's supported and expected to work.

As always, if you have questions or issues, please contact our support team.
Kind regards
Peter Laws | Redgate Software
Have you visited our Help Center?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CodingDutchCodingDutch Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    edited October 3, 2023 11:58AM
    I noticed the new documentation does not describe Memory Profiling an 'IIS Express - ASP.NET Core' application. The GUI expects a path to a configuration file, which is not described. I first had no idea what config file is needed here, but I later found out it is 'applicationhost.config'. Unfortunately, out of the box it points to a wrong directory (somewhere in my documents). I did a search and found the file on 'C:\Program Files\IIS Express\AppServer'. The problem, it gives a 'no asp.net core websites are found' exclamation mark is shown next to the path.

After further investigation, I noticed I should point the path to (maybe because I use JetBrains Rider):

C:\<my source folder>\.idea\config

If you are using Visual Studio it probably needs to point to: C:\<my source folder>\.vs\config

Unfortunately, it does not work because I get an http error related to the application cannot find the correct connection string to my local SQL Server instance.
    I noticed I needed to set 2 environment variables to make it work:

1. ASPNETCORE_CONTENTROOT Which must point to the root folder of where the Web API dll resides. So if the 'ASP.NET Core assembly' path points to 'C:<your source folder\<your api>\bin\Debug\net7.0\YOUR.API.dll', the value is 'C:<your source folder\<your api>'
    2. ASPNETCORE_ENVIRONMENT with value 'Development'

• Options
    Thank you for your investigation CodingDutch, I'll feed this back to our development team.
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?