SQL Prompt not working on Read Only database

Hey,

Long time user of SQL prompt, currently working on a mess of a database that I could really use some help with. Unfortunately the database is in read-only mode and this seems to be the reason that SQL prompt is no longer able to make suggestions. Anyone know a workaround?

Many thanks,

Tim
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @AngryWelshman

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your SQL Prompt inquiry.

SQL Prompt should have no issues providing suggestions from a read-only database. 

My initial reaction is perhaps your user permissions on that database don't meet the requirements:

• User granted SELECT & VIEW DEFINITION on a database

List of all permissions required for SQL Prompt functionality available here:

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp/getting-started/requirements/sql-server-permissions

Ideally, you would need to check if this is the case and determine if someone is able to temporarily revoke the read-only state to apply the permissions.

If you are unable to change these permissions, then I am not aware of any direct workarounds. 

You may need to clone the database to a copy you can modify the permissions, and then use it for suggestions in your code.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software