Options

Azure Data Studio: SQL Search Doesn't Work (fully)

mjnincmjninc Posts: 16 Bronze 1
 I have Azure Data Studio Version 1.45.1 (8/10/23) and I installed SQL Search on 8/10/23.  

SQL Search finds my SQL object, but when I click on 'Reaveal in Object Explorer', it doesn't do anything. It doesn't bring me right to the object like it does in SSMS. 

Is this a known bug?  If so, when will it be fixed?
Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi @mjninc

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your SQL Search inquiry.

Are you able to confirm the object type you are finding this behaviour against. 

I've located some previously submitted feedback on some objects that would be found in the 'Other' section of the object filter drop-down.

Would be very interested in seeing the object type/s you're finding this issue with, so I can escalate to the development team accordingly.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2023 12:00PM
    The object type is a Stored Procedure.  It looks like you are using SQL Search from within SSMS.  What I am reporting is not an issue in SSMS, it's an issue in Azure Data Studio.

There are 2 issues. 

Issue 1:  The 'Reveal in Browser' doesn't do anything.
    Issue 2:  The Redgate SQL Search colors don't seem to adjust for dark theme selections.  

I'm expecting to click on 'Revfeal in Browser' and it take me right to the Stored Procedure, like it does when I click on 'Open in Object Explorer' in SSMS.  

I use SQL Search a fairly frequently, and at times, this would prevent me from using ADS.  So, while it finds a list of objects, you can't navigate to the object, so SQL Search in it's current state on ADS for me, is not working as expected.

When do you think this might get fixed, please?

• Options

Thank you for confirming those points, I've tested and have some feedback for your two raised issues.

1 -

In my testing it does appear to work in finding SP objects, but there is no automatic focus on the 'Connections' tab to view the object after selecting the shortcut.

If I already had the tab open when clicking on 'Reveal in Object Explorer' it would expand the Programmability > Stored Procedures folder to locate my object.

In SSMS, it appears that the standard behaviour is to open the Object Explorer (even if it is closed) and navigate to the object. 

There does appear to be a difference in the overall process in comparison.

Arguably the terminology of 'Object Explorer' could also be addressed in the shortcut as that's a misnomer in ADS.

2 -

I've replicated using the dark theme and agree with your comments.

Text stays black and is not easy to read. 

I believe that SQL Search for ADS is in preview and may not be able to confirm any delivery timeframe just yet; however, I will escalate both of these points to our development team and look to update this post with any feedback or updates for them.

• Options
    Thanks for your help and timely response!   Great job in keeping me informed and escalating to the development team!

• Options

Hi mjninc​,

Our development team has now reviewed the two items you have identified, alongside our current workload and available resources. 

Unfortunately, on this occasion, this is not something they are able to provide a timeline on a fix for. These items may be included as part of a future update to the ADS extension but this is not guaranteed.

• Options
    Ok, thanks Jon!