Options

Changing the Server to Search

dbbishopdbbishop Posts: 16 Bronze 2
I've got several tabs open in SSMS with connections to a couple of servers. I want to do a search on one of the servers but the dropdown is only listing one server. How do I change the server that SQL Search will search? It is just a dropdown and I cannot enter anything in it.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi @dbbishop

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your SQL Search question.

SQL Search uses SSMS's connections to servers to conduct searching, this is limited to the session in which SQL Search is running.

If you have multiple instances of SSMS open with different connections, SQL Search will only be able to utilize the active connection in that instance.

To get more servers in the drop-down box, you will need to connect to them in SSMS prior to searching.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    dbbishopdbbishop Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    I had 3 tabs open each with a connection to a different server but only had one of the servers available in the dropdown.
    I ultimately 'fixed' it by exciting SSMS and loading it again and connecting only to the server I wanted to search.