Options

SQL Search - Database Selection Reverting to All Databases

rldawgrldawg Posts: 35 Bronze 3
I've noticed that when I flip over to another app and flip back to SSMS that the database selector changes from the one DB I have selected to All Databases.  Ans so my search results are skewed of course.

Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Options
    MattTagMattTag Posts: 7 Bronze 1
    definitely having this issue and it's a pain - indexing "all databases" takes forever - there are only 2-3 databases out of 30 I consistently want to index. I much preferred the prior functionality
  • Options
    hcallesishcallesis Posts: 2 New member
    It seems to happen any time I click on anything in SSMS Object Explorer. Very annoying. It should stay the way I set it - if I want to change it to something else I will.
  • Options
    Dan_JDan_J Posts: 450 Silver 2
    Hi @rldawg,

As discussed via the ticket we have logged for you, I am continuing to try to reproduce this issue. So far I'm not seeing the same behavior. I will continue to work with you on this within the ticket.
    Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Hi @MattTag & @hcallesis,

I'm sorry you are both also seeing this issue.

Would you both mind confirming what versions of SQL Search and SSMs you are using?
    Kind regards

• Options
    SSMS 19.1.56.0
    SQL Search 3.6.3.3612

Steps to reproduce:
    Open SSMS
    Select a server
    Open SQL Search 
    Change "All databases" to one database
    Search for something 
    Click "Connect" in Object Explorer to open a second server
    As the dropdown becomes visible, SQL Search switches back to "All databases" and starts to reindex.

There are other cases where it switches to "all databases" as well, but this one is the most easily reproducible.

I recorded a video of the issue. Happy to assist further if I can.
    https://cleguardians.box.com/s/j2lpf69znk0ei5f3km4sqj681fi0m0d3

• Options
    hcallesishcallesis Posts: 2 New member
    SSMS 18.12.1
    SQL Search 3.6.3.3612

It happens if I haven't selected a particular database on the left panel. I can pick a DB from the search dropdown but if I haven't highlighted a DB in the left panel, any time I expand something the search dropdown reverts to "All databases". If I do have a DB highlighted, but select a different DB in the dropdown, then expand any tree item in the left panel the dropdown reverts to the highlighted DB.
  • Options
    kadragottkadragott Posts: 1 New member
    SSMS 19.1.56.0
    SQL Search 3.6.3.3612

Several on our team are also experiencing this same issue Its very disruptive to our workflow. Our environment consists of around 30 separate databases with mostly identical schemas and object names. These database also have custom elements and share data workflows with application databases on linked SQL database servers.  

Typical use case for us involves using SQL Search on a select single database by making selections from the "Server" and "Database" dropdown options inside the SQL Search menu. We then use the succinct list of relevant objects making it easier for us to spot custom or atypical objects for review and discovery.

This process is derailed because Search will now update the "database" and "Server" dropdown options automatically to match whatever Server and Database you have selected in the Object explorer. When search defaults back to "all databases" our results go from from 10 to 300+ as an example.

Also, since search results are no longer persistent and always change depending on what object you last clicked on in Object Explorer, it makes it functionally impossible to inspect search results that were purposely applied to more than one database. As soon as you double click on a line in the search results SSMS will navigate you to that object in Object Explorer and the search results will be discarded to only show the results for the database of that object you are currently inspecting. 

If you are connected to more than one SQL server in the SSMS Object Explorer, Search will take liberty to apply an irrelevant earlier search query for a different server and database on whatever server you happen to be looking at in that moment. 
  • Options
    Adding to the discussion although the lack of response from RedGate is not encouraging.

SSMS 18.12.1
    SQL Search 3.6.4.3768

PLEASE modify SQL Search to make it stop automatically selecting All Databases in the database dropdown list when I change servers. If I select a specific database and then change to another server with the same database, leave my selection as it was. It negatively impacts my productivity to have to wait while SQL Search to automatically reindex all databases every time I switch between servers.

At the very least, please provide a user preference setting for which behavior to apply.
  • Options
    JH_appsJH_apps Posts: 1 New member
    We're having this problem as well.  I NEVER want "All Databases".  And I have flip around through a lot of servers and DBs.  Please at least give us a way to turn this off as a user option.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm pleased to advise that a fix for this issue was released in version 3.6.6 of SQL Search. This version can be downloaded directly from here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.6.6.3856.exe.

Alternatively, you can update to the latest version of SQL Search (v.3.6.7) here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.6.7.3908.exe.

If you could please let us know that this does indeed resolve this issue for you, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards

• Options
    edited November 3, 2023 11:33AM
    still problems, see attached video. Video starts with version number. I select 2 databases from the list, and then click on the server dropdown. Before I even select a server, the database list reverts to one database. When I do select a server, it reverts to all databases. The video then shows the issue a second time.

If there happens to be a search term in the search bar when you switch servers (not shown in the video), it begins re-indexing automatically (something that takes 5 minutes on my production server, something I would always want to trigger myself)

Video: https://cleguardians.box.com/s/3qjks5wj5p005s06bi7jxhf6fkotdgwm
  • Options
    GaryHGaryH Posts: 6 Bronze 2
    edited November 9, 2023 2:56PM
    Now there's an inverse problem in version 3.6.7:
    If you click in the Object Explorer on a database name or expand it, it becomes the database that SQL Search will always revert to until you do the same with another database or restart SSMS.  The selection reverts to this database if you click the SQL Search button or the server drop down list.  There is now no way to make more that one database or  "All Databases" persistent.   Can't Red Gate just persist whatever is selected in the drop-down list?  If not, give us a "Lock" checkbox to do that?

• Options
    Hi all,

Thank you for highlighting these issues. Just to advise that these have been escalated to our development team for their input. I will come back to you via this thread as soon as I have an update.
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hi all,

Just to confirm on the points raised:

- SQL Search still reverting to All Databases when clicking the server drop down - our development team are looking into this, I will update as soon as I know more on this.

- SQL Search reindexes when selecting another server - It is expected behavior that selecting a different server triggers a reindex. It isn't currently possible to stop this happening.  The size and contents of the server will impact the time the process takes to complete.

SQL Search reverts back to the database selected in Object Explorer - We haven't so far been able to reproduce this behavior. When selecting a database in Object Explorer SQL Search will search that database, however selecting All databases from the drop down does then persist for us. @GaryH, are you possibly able to enable Verbose logging,  reproduce the issue and provide the resulting log file? 

Kind regards

• Options
    Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for your attention.  I sent you a DM with the log file and link for a screen recording.  My Help menu doesn't show an option to set log level, but the log looks pretty verbose.  That's probably what it's set to.

Gary

• Options
    Hi all,

@MattTag - regarding indexing when selecting another server, I enquired with our development team around adding a checkbox so that you can control when SQL Search indexes, however unfortunately this isn't something they are able to implement in to the product at this time.

@GaryH - many thanks for the information you have provided in your DM. I have responded to your message.

I am continuing to work with the team here on the other points raised and will provide an update as soon as I have one.
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hi all,

The latest version of SQL Search contains some minor improvements (related to the feedback received from this forum thread) to database selections within SQL Search.

For example, when choosing a selection of databases to search over, SQL Search will now retain those selections, even if you were to click on a database in Object explorer.

@GaryH, I also tested the scenario you DM'd me about. That also appears to have been fixed. 

The latest version of SQL Search can be downloaded here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.6.13.4316.exe

I hope this helps!

Kind regards

• Options
    rldawgrldawg Posts: 35 Bronze 3
    Dan_J said:
    Hi all,

The latest version of SQL Search contains some minor improvements (related to the feedback received from this forum thread) to database selections within SQL Search.

For example, when choosing a selection of databases to search over, SQL Search will now retain those selections, even if you were to click on a database in Object explorer.

@GaryH, I also tested the scenario you DM'd me about. That also appears to have been fixed. 

The latest version of SQL Search can be downloaded here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.6.13.4316.exe

I hope this helps!

Thanks!  I'll check it out!
  • Options
    Hi @rldawg

I just wanted to follow up to confirm on whether the new version of SQL Search has resolved the issue you were seeing?
    Kind regards

• Options
    Dan_J

Thanks for letting us know about the update.  It does retain the database selections, but there is a real problem. 

SSMS version 18.10 will crash if SQL Search is open and you either select the Connect dropdown in the Object Explorer
    After the crash, SSMS is unable to recover the documents that were open.

It also crashes if you right click on a server name in the Object Explorer.

It also crashes if you close the SQL Search tab.

Let me know if I can provide any diags

• Options
    Hi @GaryH

Thanks for your update on this, I'm glad the database selections are now retained, however I'm sorry you're now seeing a new issue!

I've searched high and low for an installer for SSMS 18.10 so that I can try and reproduce the issue you are seeing, however the only version I can find available is for v.18.12.  I've tested SQL Search in this version of SSMS and don't experience any crashes.

Is updating to a newer version of SSMS an option for you?
    Kind regards

• Options
    Hi @Dan_J

Interesting timing on your post.  I had just now finished updating all my other Red Gate products, thinking it might help the SQL Search crash problems.  It worked.  SQLSearch_3.6.13.4316 is newer than the one in the Toolbelt Essentials package so SQL Search wasn't updated.  There must have been some interaction between an earlier version of a Red Gate product.  Maybe SQL Prompt?  I was still using the last version with Tab History since the debut of SQL History was so awful.  SQL Prompt is current now, and SQL Search isn't causing any crashes.

Thanks for attempting to reproduce the problem.

• Options
    Hi @GaryH

Very interesting timing indeed!

Thanks for your update on this. I'm glad this is now resolved! 
    Kind regards

• Options
    sam88jeepsam88jeep Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    I'm using version  3.5.16.4399... the behavior of the default databases for SQL Search is still frustrating.  
    To reproduce, do a SQL Search on Database A.  Close SSMS.  Reopen. Browse Object explorer to Database A.  Do a SQL Search, and it'll default to All Databases.

I'm using SSMS 19.3

Would love a fix... as I need to cancel reindexing all the time (too many databases).