Options

Why have all my SQL Compare project changed to ENCRYPT connections

jimVisage1980jimVisage1980 Posts: 22 Silver 1
edited May 19, 2023 3:34PM in SQL Compare
Just upgraded from SQL Compare 14 to 15.
I thought, great all My Projects are still all visible when I run version 15.
Tried to run one and connection failed. On opening I find that both connections now have the Encrypt option ticked.
On checking I find that all my projects have defaulted to Encrypt option ticked for both connections!  Great if your servers are configured for encrypted connections.

This is not great Redgate.

Any way to change so all my projects are back to non-encrypted connections without having to manually edit all the projects?

p.s.
SQL Data Compare has the same problem too.

Answers

• Options
    Hi @jimVisage1980

This was due to a recent change by Microsoft in which the Microsoft.Data.SqlClient now encrypts connections by default and requires a certificate to be present, or have trust server certificate enabled

The comparison tools were updated to reflect the update from Microsoft.

If you open the project, you can enable trust server certificate: 

Kind regards

Dan Calver | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    jimVisage1980jimVisage1980 Posts: 22 Silver 1
    I think you are missing the point I made.
    When I upgraded from 14 to 15 all my projects should have been left in the same state. 

Now I either have to untick the 'Encrypt' box or tick the 'Trust server certificate'  box (for both connections) for all of my pre-existing projects in order to do a compare.
  • Options
    Hi @jimVisage1980

Apologies, I overlooked that part of your issue, I've just tested this myself and it does indeed seem to change the existing projects to have 'Encrypt' enabled. 

I can only assume this is due to reflect Microsoft's stance on the default behavior and I can only apologize for the inconvenience this has had on your existing projects

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    jkwraasejkwraase Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    Is there a way to set the "Trust server certificate" checkbox ON by default?
  • Options
    Hi @jkwraase

I did check with the team, but apparently there's not a registry key available for performing this, so you'll need to manually tick it 

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    Any update on when this is going to be fixed.  You get the same issue when use the SQL Server plugin context menu option to SQL Compare/Data Compare by right clicking on the database in the Object Explorer.  All other database connection properties (server/database/user info) are transferred to SQL Compare, but not these checkboxes.  Highly annoying.  
  • Options
    Hi @MikePendleton

Unfortunately, you will need to tick Trust Server Certificate when opening SQL Compare, I would advise saving connects to a project to speed up this process

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?