Options

SQL Prompt Option Settings Not Persisting - Windows 11 ARM64

I am running Windows 11 ARM64 through Parallels on a Mac Mini M2 processor. Everything works fine except some of my SQL Prompt settings don't persist once I close SSMS. My custom styles, and snippets are saved but not the general options (i.e. Alias every table, Don't Include Column Types on INSERT statements, etc...).

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Hi @pdxhunter

That's definitely quite strange. Is it any setting within the general options menu, no matter what you modify?

If you make a change, export the SQL Prompt settings, close and re-open SSMS, import the settings and then close and re-open it once more, do the settings stay, or do they reset?

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• Options
    pdxhunterpdxhunter Posts: 3 New member
    edited April 17, 2023 8:51PM
    Kurt,

I followed your suggestions but was not able to have the setting changes persist after closing and re-opening SSMS. I don't know if this applies to all settings or not. Here is what I am changing and the result:
    • Custom Style Rules  - These stick without issue
    • Queries > Color - These stick without issue
    • Inserted Code > Objects & statements - NOT WORKING
       - For Insert Statements: Unselected "Show column names", "Show column data types", "Insert default values"
      - For Exec Statements: Unselected "Insert default value...", "Show parameter data types"
    • Inserted Code > Aliases - NOT WORKING
      - Selected "Assign Aliases"
    Not sure what to try next?
  • Options
    Hi @pdxhunter

Would you be able to let me know what version of SQL Prompt you're running? If you're not on the latest, can you try that and see if this same issue persists? 

Latest version:
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.13.7.360.exe

It might also be worth enabling verbose logging, changing the settings, closing and re-opening and then sending through the logs. If you're not comfortable uploading them here, you can send them through to support@red-gate.com

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• Options
    pdxhunterpdxhunter Posts: 3 New member
    Hi Kurt,
    I confirmed that I am using the latest version (10.13.7.360). I followed the steps of turning on verbose logging and changing the settings and am attaching the logs to this ticket. I reviewed the logs both before and after and don't see anywhere in the logs indicating that the settings screen has even been opened or changed (like it's not part of verbose logging).

I'll await your next steps.

JH
  • Options
    I can confirm that I'm having the same issue. I'm running Windows 11 Enterprise on a Surface Laptop 4 and have the latest versions of both SSMS and SQL Prompt.

These settings do not persist for me:
    - Suggestions -> Join conditions
    - Format -> Styles
    - Labs -> Experimental features

My temporary solution is to keep a copy of the exported Prompt.settings file and import it every time I (re-)open SSMS.