SQL Search over VPN Connection

vjacob1vjacob1 Posts: 57 Bronze 1
My connection to the SQL Server is through a VPN and I am connecting from my normal domain but the SQL Server is on a different domain but there is a one way trust 
But in SQL Search when it is trying to index objects - either SSMS crashes or it gets an error that it times out.
Is there a way to get the connection to work without any issues so I can use the tool to search the database?
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @vjacob1

I'm sorry you're seeing this issue with SQL Search!

Would it be possible for you to provide a verbose log file from when SSMS crashes and when the connection doesn't work?
    Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Hi again @vjacob1

Would you also mind trying to launch SQL Search before you connect to the server to see if that makes any difference?
    Kind regards

• vjacob1vjacob1 Posts: 57 Bronze 1
    I tried to launch SQL Search before VPN Connection and it crashes the same way.
    I will pull a verbose log from SSMS.
    Thanks!!
    Attached is the SSMS Log File
  • Hi @vjacob1

Thanks for your replies, and for providing the log file.

Looking through the log file there are lots of timeout instances when SQL Search is attempting to index, this is likely to be being hampered by the VPN connection.

We have tested the indexing process over a VPN connection but cannot reproduce the issue you are seeing.

I'm going to run this past our team here to get their input on how we can move forward with our troubleshooting on this. In the mean time, would you mind updating to the very latest version of SQL Search (https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.6.2.3390.exe) to be sure you continue to see this issue in that version too? 
    Kind regards

• Hi @vjacob1

I've spoken with the team here about the issue you are seeing. We all agree that this appears to be a connectivity related issue.

One question that came from our discussions is whether you also see this issue when working locally (not over a VPN)? Also, do you only see this issue on the one server? 
    Kind regards

Locally I have no issues - it is  only when I am on the VPN.
    Are there specific ports that need to be opened or something in order for it to work over the VPN Connection?
    I will check on Wednesday when I am in the office as well as there I do not need the VPN to connect
  • Hi @vjacob1

Thanks for your updates on this.

I am running this past our development team for their advice and will come back to you with their response as soon as I can.

In the mean time, if you can confirm that this issue doesn't occur when you are in the office today, that would be greatly appreciated. 
    Kind regards

@Dan_J
    Thanks for your assistance on this I will check back in later today.
  • Hi @vjacob1

As you previously mentioned, we do suspect the issue you are seeing is related to port rules/restrictions.

By default, the connection is made via port 1433 on TCP, so it may be worth checking if your VPN is blocking this port and ensure it is added to the list of exceptions.

I hope this helps!
    Kind regards

So I have tried from the office and it keeps trying to reindex the SQL Server
    Attached is the log it appears to be getting the same connection time out errors.
  • Hi @vjacob1,

Thanks for your update on this, I'm sorry you are seeing this issue even when working in the office!

We have some additional questions on this:
    • Does SSMS itself connect correctly to the database via VPN?
    • What does the value of the "Server name" field in the "Connect to server" window look like? Is it an IP address?
     I appreciate this may be sensitive information so please do let me know if you would like me to reach out to you directly from the ticket we have logged for this issue.
    Kind regards

SSMS does connect to the database but it is not over the VPN when I am in the office, it does when I am working remotely 
    The Server Name is an IP Address as we cannot connect using the hostname
  • Dan_JDan_J Posts: 446 Silver 2
    Hi @vjacob1

Thanks for your reply on this.

We (including our development team) are struggling to reproduce the same issue you are seeing. We have tried running SQL Search over a VPN but don't encounter any SSMS crashes.

Looking back over the history of this discussion, you mentioned they have tried opening SQL Search before then connecting the VPN, however did you also try launching SQL Search before connecting to your instance/server in SSMS?
    Kind regards

Yes I have tried to launch SQL Search before connecting to the VPN and it still has the same issue.
    if it is using the default port than it should work because I believe that is the same port we are using for the SSMS connection as well
    Hi @vjacob1

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to ask again, I just want to be double sure - have you tried launching SQL Search before connecting SSMS?

Also, our development team are considering if the issue is regarding the number of connections made when using SQL Search, and whether there is a connection limit enabled within your VPN settings, or if DDOS protection is set?
    Kind regards

I believe that is what I did but I will try again and let you know.
    I am currently working in the office today so I do not need the VPN but will be remote tomorrow.
    I will try again tomorrow.
    Hi @vjacob1

Sure, not a problem at all.

Did you get a chance to check this again?
    Kind regards

I dont understand how to launch SQL Search before connecting - do you mean starting SQL Search tab first and then try to connect to the database?
    Hi @vjacob1

Thanks for your reply.

My apology for not being clearer on this before now:

- Launch SSMS (but do not connect to you instance(s) - close/cancel the connect to server box)
    - Launch SQL Search
    - Now connect to your instance(s) 

When trying SQL Search now, is there any difference in behavior? 
    Kind regards