Options

Generating Documentation stuck at 99%

Greg_G_devGreg_G_dev Posts: 3 New member
I'm Generating Documentation of two databases in SQL Doc. It's been running for nearly an hour. The percentage progress bar moved steadily for a good while, then rapidly moved from the 50s or 60s to 99 percent. It has been stuck at 99% for 10 minutes or so, with the circle spinning next to "Documenting" with Finalizing Documentation comment beneath it. Now, the circle has stopped spinning, and it seems "stuck".
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
  • Options

hi @Greg_G_dev

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your issues with SQL Doc

Could you also please provide the log files so we can investigate further

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sdoc/troubleshooting/logging-and-log-files

This link has been generated for you to provide logs against, it will expire after 14 days:

https://files.red-gate.com/requests/tf8ZellqptpHnKMqy9BfRR

I have seen some instances where larger DB instances utilise a lot of RAM when generating the PDF files and can lead to some system lock/slowdown.

In your current project settings are you are using the output to PDF currently, are you able to generate documentation using other output options such as HTML?

If so it may be necessary to select smaller sections of objects to document or output as another format and convert them to PDF using external tools

If you can please provide the logs and advise on the approximate size of the DB objects you are trying to process it will help work with you to resolve this issue

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    > In your current project settings are you are using the output to PDF currently, are you able to generate documentation using other output options such as HTML?

Yes, I was using output to PDF.

The 2 databases I was using are quite large. I switched to generating doc for only one of them, and I excluded some options. It generated succesfully, and it was 2700 pages in the PDF.

I think for now, I will be doing each db separately. I'll post again if I run into issues that I cannot resolve.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update Greg_G_dev.
    Shall monitor this post for a while for any updates, hopefully this process will generate the documentation for you albeit in a slightly longer method
    Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software