Options

Warning 445 error using SQL Backup 10 with a gMSA

SirRandallSirRandall Posts: 11 Bronze 1
edited March 21, 2023 12:16PM in SQL Backup
Environment:
  • SQL Backup 10.1.18.2060 installed on a fresh Windows Server 2019 | SQL Server 2019 Ent instance.
  • The SQL Backup service is configured to login as a group-managed-service account (gmsa).
  • Attempting to execute backups on an AG Secondary (databases are read-only)
  • The gmsa account has sysadmin to the SQL instance, full rights to local (sql-host) storage, and a read/write access to a network share.

I have a SQL Backup jobs created to backup SQL transaction logs to the local disk, and then copy that same backup to my network share. 

The local backup (r:\mssql\backups\....) runs as expected. No concerns here.
However, copying the backup file to the network share never seems to occur, and the job stops, not reporting success or failure.
The error log on the sql host only shows this at the end of the log entry

3/21/2023 7:49:07 AM: Processed 3 pages for database 'dbName', file 'db_log' on file 1.
3/21/2023 7:49:07 AM: BACKUP LOG successfully processed 3 pages in 0.013 seconds (1.802 MB/sec).
3/21/2023 7:49:07 AM: SQL Backup process ended.

3/21/2023 7:49:07 AM: Deleted msdb entries older than 2/19/2023 7:49:07 AM
3/21/2023 7:49:07 AM: Deleted local history entries older than 2/19/2023 7:49:07 AM
3/21/2023 7:49:07 AM: Warning 445: OLEDB error running parameterised command: attempt to write a readonly database

If I adjust the SQL Backup job to send the initial backup file to the network share (rather than being copied later), it works fine, so I know the gmsa account has the write permission on the network share.

In addition, this exact approach (local backup, copy to network) seems to work as expected for FULL backups. It only appears to be failing when doing transaction log backups.

Looking for advice on the Warning entry in the log and why that seems to stop the rest of the process.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    I figured it out.
    The gmsa account didn't have Server Administrator access. Everything cleared up after that.
    Issue resolved. Hoping this lengthy ramble helps someone else down the road.

Answers

• Options
    edited March 21, 2023 1:24PM
    Is it perhaps that the gmsa running the service likely doesn't have any access to the SQL instance hosting the SQLBackup repository database  (it's on a different instance the the one I'm trying to backup).? 
    I'll bet that's it, and it's what I'm working on now.
    I'd appreciate any other suggestions.  

--update-- Ignore this. There is no SQLBackup repository. I was getting it confused with the SQL Monitor repository.