Options

WARNING - Avoid Upgrading SQL Prompt Until Red-Gate Brings Back Tab History

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 137 Silver 2
In an effort to provide its loyal customers with a better and improved version of TAB HISTORY Red-Gate rolled out a new feature named SQL HISTORY that replaces TAB HISTORY. Unfortunately SQL HISTORY is a vey flawed feature with numerous short comings that are already causing users to downgrade their SQL prompt version just so they can get TAB HISTORY back.  This is how bad the replacement is for many users. Instead of implementing it as a new (ie optional to use) feature Red-Gate opted to replace the beloved TAB HISTORY with SQL HISTORY without asking you if you wanted the change. 

I have no doubt in time Red-gate will course correct and make amends for doing this as they are staffed by some wonderful and very talented people who love SQL and want to make their products the best they can be. For now though I'd advise you to not updgrade SQL Prompt until they have addressed this issue. 

Comments

• Options
    I agree. SQL History is a complete shambles compared to Tab History

For the life of me I cannot understand why anybody at Redgate thought this was a good idea. Unless the idea was to annoy the loyal userbase of SQL Prompt.

Or is this the early signs of a company in decline?
  • Options
    EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 137 Silver 2
    I think they just made a huge mistake. I've been a customer of Red-gate for over a decade and this is the first time I've seen something like this happen. Granted I don't use every product so I can't speak to anything other than SQL Prompt but with that I can say this unbelievable goof is a first of it's kind. If something like this happens again then I'm going to start questioning what's happened to management at Red-Gate but I have a strong feeling that after this fiasco they are going to lock things down on their end and make sure this kind of mistake doesn't happen again. 

As mentioned in another post by another user, the release notes did not mention anything about Tab History being replaced. This gives me pause to ponder if the problem isn't soo much that SQL history is terrible but that it was supposed to released as a new feature and not one that overwrote an existing one; Tab History.  If so that would make sense. Management was expecting SQL history to be rolled out as an addition where as either the team behind SQL History or the team that puts together the installer thought it was supposed to replace Tab History. What I am certain about is that this happened because of miscommunication somewhere. After 10+ years using Red-Gate products I have a hard time believing this was done intentionally. If this is what happened I would hope at some point they would tell us this. Not only would it make sense as to how this happened but it would help their image because users would then know that this wasn't intentional.