How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Updating base monitor separetely from the web server

For security reasons ee do have a rather complex setup using two SQL Monitor web servers and a base monitor for each customer environment. We do currently have around base monitors and as you can imagine the version update is starting to be a pain. This specially when we hopefully will get more and more customer. We are lookng into automatic updating of SQL monitor but most likely we will not be able to have a centralize automation. This mean that we will have either manual or automatic update of the customer specific base monitors.

The question is hoe to do this without temporary loose access to the servers. We have until know this manually but I did notice that when first updating the we server to the new version then it lost the connection to the base monitors until they also were updating the the same version. Is there some way that the update can be done without loosing the connectivity? Or is the only option to get teh automation done and carefully schedule the updating of the base monitor and keep fingers scrossed that the update is working smoothly?

Thanks,
Peter Åkerlund
Senior DevOps DBA
RELEX Solutions
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Is anyone able to help us out with this?
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi Peter,

I know I just replied to the ticket you raised as well, but for anyone else seeing this -

The update process starts with the webserver and then does the Base Monitor service.  On a single server this happens at essentially the same time, but on separate servers, there will be some period of time in which the weberver is on a later version than the Base Monitor. 

In this state, while the data from the Base Monitor is not visible in the web frontend (or you can't open the web frontend due to the mismatch being on the primary Base Monitor), the Base Monitor is still gathering data, alerting on that and sending notifications.  So, while you will not be able to see this in the web frontend, the data is still being gathered, alerted on and having notifications sent until the two are on the same version.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?