Options

Change Automation stops working after latest update (to version 4.5.23019.535)

We experience issues with SQL Change Automation over Azure DevOps with the latest update to version 4.5.23019.535. It seems like the connection is broken, even though "Trust server certificate" is set in the build and/or release step. Everything is still working fine when specifying version 4.5.23011.422.

Error given is:
[error]SQLCompare.exe terminated with the exit code 126: Failed due to a SQL Server error.
SQLCompare.exe produced this error output:
Error: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The target principal name is incorrect.)

Is there something wrong with this version?

Answers

• Options
    Hi @Grisu

One of our other customers hitting this issue resolved it by placing the certificate on the target server

Kind regards

Dan Calver | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    GrisuGrisu Posts: 4 New member
    edited January 25, 2023 9:47AM
    Hi @DanC

I thought the whole idea behind this "Trust Server Certificate" to accept every certificate/skip certificate check?

The issue here is that I don't have access to the Windows machine where SQL Server is running on because we use this as a PaaS instance and also not to the build machine itself.

Other ideas to fix this issue?
  • Options

Hi @Grisu

I'm going to escalate this to the developers and get some more ideas on the solution

If you specifically set the SQL Change Automation version in the pipeline to "4.5.23011.422" you'll be able to get up and running again in the meantime!

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    @DanC, any news on this?
  • Options

Hi @Grisu

Nothing yet, I'll post when there's new information

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    Hi @Grisu

This should now be resolved in the latest version, could you please verify this?

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• Options
    Hi @DanC

I just tried it again and it looks still broken. Is my version the latest one? Please see script location below.

Task         : Redgate SQL Change Automation: Release
    Description  : Safely deploy database changes with Redgate SQL Change Automation
    Version      : 4.2.4
    New-DatabaseReleaseArtifact, SQL Change Automation 4.6.23115.1242, Copyright © Red Gate Software Ltd 2014-2023
    ##[debug]SQL Compare V15.0.8.23400
    ##[debug]Error: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The target principal name is incorrect.)
    ##[debug]At C:\agent02\_work\_tasks\RedgateSqlChangeAutomationRelease_c1177c17-3934-4005-ba89-a4549fe4f0a1\4.2.4\RunSqlChangeAutomation.ps1:425 char:24
  • Options
    DanCDanC Posts: 592 Gold 4
    Hi @Grisu

That's frustrating as it's the right version. In this case I'm going to reach out via the support ticket so I can grab the verbose logs from yourself to pass onto the development team!

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?